What's new
What's new

Removing press fit Git oilers?

zargnut

Plastic
Hi, does anyone have any advice for removing the smaller press fit git oilers for a 10k?

I tried gently prying it out with a screwdriver, and ripped the hinged top right off my gearbox oiler. At $13 a piece, would rather not replace all of them.. but would like to remove them so I can more easily strip and repaint the castings.

Also, now that I have destroyed one, is there any magic way to get it out? Saturated with a penetrating oil and was going to just work at it - hopefully avoiding drilling it out.

thanks
dan

If you cannot get to the back to push out then you could locate a cheap pair of pliers and with a die grinder make a tool that can grip one then gently work it out.

If not leave in place and cover with tape when painting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I had good luck with a wood screw in a slide hammer, screw sized just tight enough to get a grip on the end of the oiler.
If you're worried about $13 then why worry about a paint job on the machine?
Dan

I've used dikes or wire cutters to grip them and slowly work back and forth.

Not sure how mangled yours is, but some spring loaded lids can be reinstalled if they pop off. There are two cut slots in pipe portion. On lid side there is a tiny deal that spring holds on to. you push that tiny deal into the two slots of pipe. Takes a little patience as you are fighting the spring. Ive used my thumb nail to hold that deal open.

thanks for the advice. I got a variety of prying tool and will try again. The one I tried was totally destroyed. I was able to loosen it and get it out. I will probably go with the tape and paint route, if they are in good shape.

Back