Removing spring loaded pin on reversing gear?
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Removing spring loaded pin on reversing gear?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an easy way to remove the spring loaded pin handles on the reversing gear and gear box? It would make it easier to clean and refinish the casting if I can get it off, but clearly not worth it if requires a struggle and risks damage... any tricks to get this off easily?

screen-shot-2017-08-07-6.56.11-pm.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you look carefully at the smooth area just above the knurling at the end of the handle, I'm pretty sure that you will see the ends of a small taper pin. Careful measuring of the ends will determine which direction to drive it out. Then the handle should come off of the pin shaft with a light pressing or tapping.

Brian

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine, not being a museum piece, got a quick pass with a wire wheel, degreased, painted and put back on the lathe. Applies to the gearbox tumbler handles also, essentially the same parts. More chance to mess it up (the knurl, the pin, the cap) by driving out the pin...

4. Likes TDegenhart liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah, the taper pins are ground flush with the knob.. I think I would damage them, if I attempt removal. Going with the tape and paint method.

d

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Actually, the pin is straight, not tapered. But better not to mess with it, if you don't have to.

Paul

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah wimped out on that... functional more important than pretty.

I am about ready to repack the felt and following the instructions in the rebuild manual... but can't see how I am going to thread the three felts into the passages. I got the piano wire and think I can pass the longest felt by pulling from the oiler git end. Any advice on how to get the others in?

The pic shows the felts I pulled and what I suspect is the approximate path they take.
    Any advice on the order of placement, or tricks for getting them in? I was going to cut lengths to match the old and just go to work.. but unclear how durable the felt is.. I just don't want to destroy the felt by doing something stupid.

thanks
    dan

screen-shot-2017-08-15-10.52.59-am.jpg