What's new
What's new

South Bend Drill Press Restore (Pic Heavy)

Lost Pup

Aluminum
Picked this up from Craigslist for $100.
Still have a few items to finish, motor,badges and knobs.

Badges restore I need to research a bit...Any thoughts ?

Only the base was primed all other surfaces were painted with no primer.
The cheapest small foam roller worked just fine. Tried a bit to remove the base but gave up and used paint remover on it. The other parts were glass beaded and prepped to paint. Rolled 2 to 3 coats on most. Underside of base was treated twice with a rust fix then primered and painted with spray can black Rustoleum.

Pics tell the story Comments and Thoughts Welcome

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Nice find and good job! It does look a little better :)

How did you clean the "pole" (for lack of a better word) ??

Nice job and looks sweet. I'm doing the same on my 1957 Craftsman bench top right now. Isn't it a shame that people drill holes into the machined flats! I'm thinking to go extreme and have mine Blanchard ground. As far as paint goes I think I'll use DuPont Imron and from past experience it seems to be very resistant to oil and scratches.
Years ago a marine surveyor buddy of mine put a dimple into the table of my Lagun FT-1 mill. My tool & die guru/mentor told me to drill a hole into the table for a 8 – 32 mach. screw, tap and then stamp "oil" above it so it would look like "it" belonged there. My guru told me that the art of machine shop work was "being able to recover from your mistakes"...

Regards,
Chuck

Lost Pup --

Regarding the last photo in your original post #2, are you going to send the nameplate to forum member Jim Kull for restoration ? After all your excellent work restoring the drill press, the original-condition nameplate might seem out-of-place. See the sticky thread "South Bend Links: Sources for Parts, Info, etc." for details.

Chuck Kiegh --

Best wishes on your benchtop drill press restoration. I recently refurbished a vintage "Shopmaster DP-600 benchtop 12-inch drill press" by removing rust, thoroughly cleaning it up, and re-lubricating the moving parts; fortunately the original paint was mostly in quite good condition, so I decided not to strip it and repaint. Fun project -- hope you are enjoying yours.

Cheers,

-- Jim

Last edited:
23.jpg

I saw a thread in one of the forums about restoring the metal charts and badges.. the guy would mask part of it off, paint it and then painstakingly remove the unwanted paint with a Q-Tip with a little acetone on it... I searched but can't find it.. isn't that usually how it works :(

I should have book marked it because I will be doing the same thing on my 10L lathe.

I think the guy offers to restore members or others charts/badges for a price.

edit.......................

Just thinking out loud.. perhaps a thin layer of clay made wet and rubbed with your finger until the high spots (red and black areas) are exposed.. they could then be painted with a brush and when dry, the badge soaked in water to remove the clay.. (?)

Last edited:
You can also dip it in Elmers glue, wait for it to dry, then remove the glue from the area you want to paint while leaving the rest to mask off the other areas. Peel off the mask and then do it again. I do this a lot for sandblasting, it works great.

very nice, i have a bench model that was made in the mid `70s by the OSU engineering dept. they made all the castings theirselves(in aluminum) directly copied from an SB- where your SB tag is mine has OSU cast into it. Chad

I saw a thread in one of the forums about restoring the metal charts and badges.. the guy would mask part of it off, paint it and then painstakingly remove the unwanted paint with a Q-Tip with a little acetone on it... I searched but can't find it.. isn't that usually how it works :(

I should have book marked it because I will be doing the same thing on my 10L lathe.

I think the guy offers to restore members or others charts/badges for a price.

ChuckB -- If you follow the link in my previous post, then locate the entry in the sticky for "South Bend Information Plates & Tags", there is a link on restoration that takes you here:

Nameplate refurbished

... which shows what Jim Kull can accomplish. His process is described in another forum thread called:

Index Plate refurbished

Hope this helps,

-- Jim

OOOoooooo..... that's real nice ;-)

Great job, great find and it's great that another South Bend was rescued and given a new life.

Two thumbs up :cheers:

Back