What's new
What's new

Removing tags

Drive Screws

The pins holding all the tags are typically drive screws. You can get most sizes at McMaster Carr though you have to buy a box. If the drive screw is in a blind hole that can not be accessed from the rear, the best way to remove is to hole-punch a piece of electrical tape about the size of the head and place it over the drive screw to protect the plate. Take a dremel tool with a cut-off blade and grind a slot in the head so that it looks like a round head machine screw. Tap it a few time from the side with a pin punch to loosen it and then turn it counterclockwise just like you're unscrewing it. They are pretty hard steel and sometimes they break off so if that happens remove the other screws and remove the plate. There may be enough left sticking up to grab with a small pair of vise grips but if not, just drill it out carefully with a carbide drill bit. Regards, Steve

I can see mine from the rear,
can i drill them out from the rear?
or do i chance the drill bit slipping to the side, all i have is a hand held drill ,,grrrr,,,

The pins holding all the tags are typically drive screws. You can get most sizes at McMaster Carr though you have to buy a box. If the drive screw is in a blind hole that can not be accessed from the rear, the best way to remove is to hole-punch a piece of electrical tape about the size of the head and place it over the drive screw to protect the plate. Take a dremel tool with a cut-off blade and grind a slot in the head so that it looks like a round head machine screw. Tap it a few time from the side with a pin punch to loosen it and then turn it counterclockwise just like you're unscrewing it. They are pretty hard steel and sometimes they break off so if that happens remove the other screws and remove the plate. There may be enough left sticking up to grab with a small pair of vise grips but if not, just drill it out carefully with a carbide drill bit. Regards, Steve

Back