What's new
What's new

Removing Taper Pins!

Menessis

Aluminum
With some of these smallish taper pins what's the trick to figure out which end is the small end? Im in the gear box on a heavy 10 and cant tell which it is?

I wonder if there is a key way or some other feature that I can reference and figure it out that way.

I will look at some utube videos to see what I can see.

Thanks
Menessis

Only sure way is to measure with calipers. Also, I have found it helps to drill ALMOST all the way through from the small end of a stubborn taper pin. Leave a “bulkhead” of material close to the big end. Drive your punch/drift against that material and it stretches the pin instead of compressing it.

Be mentally prepared to have to order a reamer and pin in the next size up. There’s no shame in it, happens to all of us at some point. Pins are a couple bucks and a decent import reamer runs <$15 on Amazon.

Use a good pair of calipers. If you still can't tell, make your best guess and gently attempt to tap the pin out. If it moves, continue. If it doesn't move, try again from the other side.

The calipers should work, as there is a definite difference between the two sides. And inside the gear box, there should be no paint obscuring things.

Agree with the fellas above me, calipers. Even if you snatch a hold of the pin with them, you can eye ball it up and see the difference.

I always stamped a H and a D on either side of the taper pin head when we were fitting taper pins. It only takes a couple of seconds to do and saves a lot of head scratching later on. It'd look like H O D , obviously that stood for " Head ". Some guys stamped H E for " Head End ".

I have seen taper pins fitted then filed over and then polished with emery cloth, try finding them after ten years use !

Regards Tyrone

Well I used the compare to drill bit idea. Except I used a punch. Got it all apart with the exception of the chart. Only one of the 4 holes goes all the way through! I guess I have to cut a slot into them.

Thanks dalmatiangirl61 for the idea!

GoBrave
Menessis

Nice to know that idea helped you out, it has been the only way I could tell on a few occasions.

I had my fun on a supposed to be tapered pin this evening, someone replaced it with scrap, and did it with shaft 180 degrees out of rotation, so just a fraction was showing on the other side, I hate hacks!

Taper pins generally have rounded ends. They look pretty when fitting the bore length. I have learnt to file or grind the radius of the smaller end flat. It will be recognised as the end to hit.

A steel rule with graduations on the end is also useful for that sort of thing. I have to use a magnifier when I do it. All paint and rust need to be filed off.

My experience has been to support the item with the pin as best you can as the more solidly the item is supported the better chance the pin will move when you hit it with a punch and the less damage to other parts will occur .

Back