What's new
What's new

Replacing the handle on a cross feed crank

MatthewDS

Plastic
My old heavy 10 came with a broken handle on the cross feed, so I was searching for information on the forum to find a replacement.

In searching, I read a forum post that described the handles being press fit in, so if you could get the broken stub out, you could press in a new handle.

I filed down the broken stub and sure enough, there was the outline of the original pin. I next drilled a large enough hole in the center of the pin to fit a broken bolt extractor and a couple turns later, the remains of the original pin fell out.

Success!

Now to find a handle. The hole appears to be 0.175" in diameter, and McMaster Carr sells a handle with a 1/4" post. Do you guys drill them out, or try to find an original replacement?

Pictures:
IMG_20150525_215605.jpg

IMG_20150525_110306.jpg

I'll just live with it.

My lathe is in no condition to cut anything at this point. The cross feed screw looks like a wood screw, and the nut really doesn't have threads any more. When I get the major components replaced, I'll fabricate a new handle.

IMG_20150525_204428.jpg

Thanks, I was taking a hard look at their products. They seem to have lots of happy customers here, and I am planning to go that route. Thanks for the feedback.

Matthew,
Is your 10L a large dial or small dial? I have a large dial non taper screw in stock with a new USA made nut. I also have a small dial non taper used screw I could put a new acme blank in for you, or use the one you have and replace the acme blank.
email me off list if interested, either option is under $100.00.
Steve Wells
[email protected]

Last edited:
Everything in life is a potential money pit. This machine was given to me by a relative, and driven 2400 miles for free delivery, including two border crossings. I'm only out the cost of the parts I choose to repair, and I'm enjoying myself while I work on it.

Old iron doesn't exactly fall out of the sky in Alaska, and I'm feeling lucky to have it, even in it's current condition.

Is that so wrong?

My heavy ten had a very worn out cross feed screw and nut. The screw was worn to the point of the threads being needle sharp.

The rest of the machine was in pretty good shape.

I think the reason the cross fees screw was so worn was a total lack of oil. The only way to lub that nut is to put the oil in the screw hole on the cross slide and I think there was so much swarf on that slide area that nobody ever though to remove the screw and oil the nut..

Everything in life is a potential money pit. This machine was given to me by a relative, and driven 2400 miles for free delivery, including two border crossings. I'm only out the cost of the parts I choose to repair, and I'm enjoying myself while I work on it.

Old iron doesn't exactly fall out of the sky in Alaska, and I'm feeling lucky to have it, even in it's current condition.

Is that so wrong?

I haven't seen anyone mention it to you yet, soo . . . forum rules require that you show your "location". Enter it in your profile, then "save".

You are not "out" the cost really,you are investing in something that is something useful and has the potential to enrich your life by being able to make something with your own two hands. I would tend to look at it as win win, but thats just me. (pictures are good by the way...) Jim

Back