What's new
What's new

Requesting help with 10K Spindle Thread Protector.

DJ_99Wing

Aluminum
Could someone please help by providing approximate measurements for a SB 9 or 10K Spindle Thread Protector? I have the thread size, but am not sure of the overall dimensions.

Part # 21 in the attached thumbnail. South Bend lists it as PN# PT995NK1, and calls it a "Knock-Out Nut".

I will have access to a lathe for the next several weeks and am hoping to make one for the lathe I am in the process of restoring.

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• SB_ColletCloser_Set13.jpg
    SB_ColletCloser_Set13.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 645
I have a few of them in different lengths and the hole diameters. The short one i use for my boring head to remove it. It has a bigger center hole which doesn't matter for this job. The longer one has a smaller hole to remove a #3 MT dead center without beating it out. I have one for a 6K collett which i didn't find when i looked but it has a smaller hole like the longer one but only 1" thick. Make a few and leave them long with a small hole and make them to suit your project when needed. And the wrench which just has a threaded bolt to fit the hole in the protector. Made them before i got my mill or shaper or even a broach will work..Bob

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 278
  • rtr2.jpg
    rtr2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 353
  • lathe milling 001.jpg
    lathe milling 001.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 354
  • pics 001.jpg
    pics 001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 254
  • pics 002.jpg
    pics 002.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 291
Other than having an OD of around 2-5/16 and a length/thickness of 15/16 (more or less) nothing is critical.
Like Bob I have made several and given them all away.
Attached are two examples. The first is just to be fancy, the second was to use both a lever or a wrench to remove.

Attachments

• Thread-protector-w.jpg
    Thread-protector-w.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 363
  • The-1_3_8-10-Nose-Piece.jpg
    The-1_3_8-10-Nose-Piece.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 176
Thank you Bob & Jim...

You have given me some great ideas here. I was looking to make one to use with my 6K collet closer set. Now I see the value of having several different sizes.

Thanks, Dan

Wow, after several searches here and on Google, I have not been able to find any info on what size to bore the opening for a 1 1/2"-8 TPI thread. I have found it for 1 1/2 -6 and 1 1/2 -12 TPI but nothing for 8 TPI. :confused: Is 8 TPI a priority thread ???

Anyone have the info on the size needed for maybe a 70% thread ?

Thanks...

Here is a warning for all those contemplating using the 10K for end mill operations. The helix of an endmill can pull the MT3 holder out of the spindle. Be sure to use a draw bar with those holders. All my MT3 drawbar holders use a 3/8-16 thread.

Here is a warning for all those contemplating using the 10K for end mill operations. The helix of an endmill can pull the MT3 holder out of the spindle. Be sure to use a draw bar with those holders. All my MT3 drawbar holders use a 3/8-16 thread.

I made a few of these for my end mill holder and my boring head...Bob

Attachments

• draw bar milling.jpg
    draw bar milling.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 228
Wow, after several searches here and on Google, I have not been able to find any info on what size to bore the opening for a 1 1/2"-8 TPI thread. I have found it for 1 1/2 -6 and 1 1/2 -12 TPI but nothing for 8 TPI. :confused: Is 8 TPI a priority thread ???

Anyone have the info on the size needed for maybe a 70% thread ?

Thanks...
Tap Drill Sizes
I bore my blanks to 1.375 . Bob

Thank you Bob & Jim...

You have given me some great ideas here. I was looking to make one to use with my 6K collet closer set. Now I see the value of having several different sizes.

Thanks, Dan

The "Normal" purpose of these is to remove the 3C to spindle ID adapter (MT-3, more or less). Since the 6K collets do not use an adapter there is no need to use a nose piece with them.
My 9" Workshop has a 10K spindle and I use 6K collets, (as well as 3C and 3AT and ER). I do not use a nose piece with the 6K.

The "Normal" purpose of these is to remove the 3C to spindle ID adapter (MT-3, more or less). Since the 6K collets do not use an adapter there is no need to use a nose piece with them.
My 9" Workshop has a 10K spindle and I use 6K collets, (as well as 3C and 3AT and ER). I do not use a nose piece with the 6K.

I guess my thought process was to use it as a protector when using the 6K's. I picked up the 6K collet set on ebay but the protector was missing. I am trying to acquire the missing pieces. Would the standard protector profile work to remove the 3C collets or do I need to turn one with a different nose profile for the 3C's?

Thanks...

No special profile is needed for the 3C. The adapter sleeve has a large enough flange that almost any profile will force out of the spindle.

Back