What's new
What's new

Requesting info on 6" -6 jaw Buck chuck

DJ_99Wing

Aluminum
I hoping that it is possible to change over/ adapt/ convert a 6" - 6 jaw Buck, Adjust-Tru scroll chuck from it's 2 1/4" - 8 TPI thread to be able to use it on my 10K Lathe without breaking the BANK.

I am a noobie and not familiar with Buck Adjust-Tru chucks. I would like it to mount to my 1 1/2" - 8 TPI spindle. What is involved?

Thanks, Dan

If you really want to save the dollars you can do what I did for a friend on his 9". I made a good close fitting adopter for the 2 1/4-8 chuck. The adopter was made 1 1/2" 8 TPI on the inside and 2 1/4" -8 TPI on the out side then used green Loctite on the 2 1/4" then trued the back plate to his lathe and he has been using it now for 5 years and still has under .003 run out with any diameter. It is just a good standard three jaw.
Chet

You'll need to buy and machine a new backplate.

You can buy one that's already threaded for your spindle and machine it to fit your chuck.
I just did one for a 6" Pratt Burnerd 6 jaw. Go slow and be careful with transferring and drilling your mounting holes.

I bought this one from Little Machine Shop for about $35.00 and I'm pretty happy with the result.

You can take a look at their instructions to get an idea of what's involved.

So then the back plate does not have anything to do with the adjust-tru function. That makes things a lot easier to deal with. Thanks

This ain't rocket science. Either make your backplate look like the one you took off or do it the
easy way as described by coyotechet. Kenny

So then the back plate does not have anything to do with the adjust-tru function.
It absolutely is part of the adjust-tru function.
The set screws on the perimeter of the chuck bear on a raised "jug" sticking out of the front of the back plate into the back of the chuck.
You tighten or loosen them to adjust the concentricity of the work piece in the chuck.

Make an adapter for your current back plate like coyotechet said, or make a new back plate with the jug (you will need a thick piece of stock to start with), but if you put it on a cheap back plate for a "normal" chuck it won't be adjust-tru any more.
Oh, and sorry for bidding against you. ;)

Josh

You'll need to buy and machine a new backplate.

You can buy one that's already threaded for your spindle and machine it to fit your chuck.
I just did one for a 6" Pratt Burnerd 6 jaw. Go slow and be careful with transferring and drilling your mounting holes.

I bought this one from Little Machine Shop for about $35.00 and I'm pretty happy with the result.

You can take a look at their instructions to get an idea of what's involved.

Be careful with the one from little machine shop, the largest size is 6" and the chuck I just bought is a 6" chuck, but the plate is a good 1/4" to small in diameter, which would not bother me except that the mounting holes would be way to close to the edge for me, other than that a great backing plate.

Back