What's new
What's new

Restoring my bench model Heavy 10S

dannyrocci

Cast Iron
Well I have had my south bend for about a month and now it is time to tear it all down and rebuild it. I thought by having this thread and walking through the process step by step I might help others after me and if there is something that I cant figure out, I am sure that some one here with be willing to help. So my lathe is a bench model heavy 10s with the smaller spindle 1 7/8" and has power cross feeds. As you can see in the picture it needs a little work and I do have the counter shaft. I think during this rebuild process I will replace the spindle with the bigger one so that I can us 5c collets and I would also like to add a quick change gear box as well. If any one as any info on which gear box I will need or has a gear box that would for sale let me know? Same goes for a larger spindle.

Thanks,

Danny

Restoring my bench model heavy 10s

So I thought I would start with the compound slide, apron, milling attachment and micrometer carriage stop. So far I have compound slide and carriage stop cleaned, hoping to get the milling attachment apart and clean off the rest of the paint and surface rust off everything else tomorrow. I will post picture of everything as it goes along. I don't have a picture of the carriage stop before I cleaned it but everything else I did get one first. So far the process has been smooth and other then a few stuck screws came apart pretty easily. Here are the picture of what things looked like after I got them all apart and before I cleaned anything. Will take more pictures after I clean things tomorrow.

Final got some work done

Well it has taken me longer than I hoped it would but sometime life keeps you busy. But I am happy with the way that things are turning out. It is amazing what some modern chemicals and elbow grease can do. I have got the compound slide and milling attachment all cleaned up and if everything goes to plan I will finish masking and then prime tomorrow. Here is how things are turning out.

So I will start with the milling attachment and as you can see from the first photo it had seen better days but it cleaned up really nice.

Here is the compound slide, which also cleaned up rather nicely. I am really looking forward to getting these back together and seeing how they look with paint.

Tackling The Apron

Well the next thing to do after painting the compound slide is to start work on the apron. I am curious what you guys think should do, either I break it all down and clean out everything or just clean it the best I can paint it and call it good. Here is what it looks like, a little dirt but not all that bad.

Last edited:
Oil Felts

Hey Larry
The felts are there they are just dirty so they blend in but if you click on the last picture you can see it in that one. Thanks for the link to the apron thread, it is a great thread with tons of info.

Danny

Danny;

I have parted a boat load of Heavy 10 SB lathes in the past. Let me know if you need a QC box, large spindle or complete headstock. Or, I have a drawbar and collets for the small bore heavy 10.

NO PM's, email me.

Thanks;
Craig Donges @ Yahoo.com (delete the spaces)

Can you tell us what kind of chemicals you used to strip off the paint?
And other tricks? bead-blasting? Hot-boil out tank, ect.
Thanks. As I am thinking of doing the same, but not sure what to use.

What about primer & paint? What are you going to use? Where? Brand?

Chemicals

Can you tell us what kind of chemicals you used to strip off the paint?
And other tricks? bead-blasting? Hot-boil out tank, ect.
Thanks. As I am thinking of doing the same, but not sure what to use.

What about primer & paint? What are you going to use? Where? Brand?

So I really didn't use anything all that fancy, I went down to the local auto parts store and bought some paint stripper and carb clear. Here are some pictures of the stuff I am using and things that did not come off with the paint stripper or carb cleaner I used a wire brush on and did the trick. As far as primer and paint, I have not decided yet on paint and for primer just when with grey primer nothing special.

The Apron

Well the next thing to do after painting the compound slide is to start work on the apron. I am curious what you guys think should do, either I break it all down and clean out everything or just clean it the best I can paint it and call it good. Here is what it looks like, a little dirt but not all that bad.

So I decided to do a complete tear down of the apron. I wanted to take the lazy route and just clean it and paint and call it good but decide if I am going to spend the time restoring the lathe I better do it right even it takes a little bit longer. So after letting the apron sit in the carb cleaner over night, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it came out considering I didn't have to do anything. After I sprayed it clean with water there wasn't a lick of paint on the thing. I wish I would have taken a picture of it at that point but kind of forgot and started tearing it down. Here are some pictures of the apron once broken down. All of the gears are still soaking to get off any dirt that was left after the first soak and once they are done I will get some pictures of them. I have not done any cleaning on the apron other then the carb cleaner, there is some mild surf rust which I think is a result of the chemicals in the cleaner. If anyone has any idea's about how to make that go away I would love to hear them.

Where do I get Felts

So now that I have gotten everything taken apart I am going to need to put new felts in it. The felts that were in there are surprisingly still in good shape but I broke several of them in the process of taking it apart and why not put new in at this point. But this leads me to the question of where do I get them? So if anyone has some or could point me in the direction of the person that does, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Apron Rebuild

So I spent sometime today masking off the apron and getting it ready for paint and thought I would share how it turned out. I did not get the chance to prime it but I should be able to get to that tomorrow. I also got the chance to clean up the levers and hand wheel and all of the internal gears, I think they turned out pretty good. Any ways hoping to get everything finished painted this week and then I can move on to the spindle.

felts

Danny

There are felts on E-bay just about every day.

Thanks for the reply, I have looked on ebay but they only seem to have felts for the ways but I need then for the apron. The ones for the apron are more like laces as they wind there way around everything in the apron.

Painting

So I have gotten a chance this week to paint most of the pieces to the Apron and compound slide. For paint I have tried a couple different things. Fist I just pick a color for sherwin-williams called "architecture great". I used this color for the first coat but decided that is was to light of a grey. At this point I went searching on the forum, to find what other people were using and came across a thread were the owner was able to match the original color of the lathe from underneath the change gear chart plate. After I removed the plate, sure enough the original paint was behind it. In the morning I went back to sherwin-williams and after about an hour they match the color, so I went home and spayed the second coat with this color but found once it was dry that I thought it was to dark. At this point I decided to mix the two color and get a slight lighter version of the original color and that is what I used for the 3 and final coat. Here are some pictures of the original color, if anyone want to use it they cane make more for you and the gun and paint thinner I used. I got a cheap $40 spray gun from harbor freight so that I could spray the color and to my surprise it worked really well.

Painting

Here are a couple of picture of one of the pieces that is finished and the other ones that are still drying. So far I am really happy with the way everything is turning out. I have order some wicks for the apron and oil, "mobil #10" so if they come before the weekend I should be able to put it all back together and then I can move on to the headstock.

Apron Rebuild

Well I got most of the parts painted for the apron and since I can't do anything until the wicks show up, I thought I would share some pictures of it mocked up. Hope you all enjoy, it is exciting to see it coming along and to see the transformation.

Apron Rebuild

Thanks Skilly,
I can't wait to get it all done and start making chips with it, already have a few projects lined up for it.:D

Back