What's new
What's new

Reverse tumbler on South Bend 9 Toolmaker

bou

Plastic
Hello all,

I've been a long time reader of the forum but never had a reason to post since I didn't have any machine. But this time is over, I just got myself my first lathe!

It's a 1934 South Bend 9" 420-YN with a 48" bed. I'm currently in the process of rejuvenating it, complete cleanup, change all oil wick and paint job.

While taking it apart, I got stuck with the reverse tumbler. I'm not able to remove the tumble shaft from the bracket. Is there a pin holding the gear on? Is it just press fit? Please help me, I don't want to break anything!!

I will post some pictures later.

Also, does anyone have an adjustable contershaft bracket to sell (the cast iron part to hold the pulley to the table)? Mine came with a ceiling mount so I will have to be creative.

Thanks!

once you remove the nut and the first gear, the only thing holding it together is the press fit of the second gear to the shaft. Be careful not to damage the threads or the gear. The gear is pressed on the shaft to prevent it from being pushed into the housing when installing the stud gear.

refer to this link,

http://www.wswells.com/data/9_workshop/CL670Z_army.pdf

this is a plunger type reversing gear. But any part No. that ends in NK, is the same for both the 10K and the 9"

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

Back