What's new
What's new

Right hand QCGB handle in the left position?

newman4711

Plastic
Hi folks is it doable? I have 2 gear boxes with broken left hand tumbler handles and want to know if anyone has used a righty in its place? Thought I read here that someone had, and that is why I bought the other gearbox. Being a New Englander, and they are known for being "frugal" the gentleman that had the lathe before me would put the broken handle in the desired position an then jam a wood wedge under it. It worked, but I think I can do better. If anyone has a Lefty and needs a Righty I would be interested in trading. Thanks For your help

The tumblers are universal from what I've seen. You have to switch the gears around to fit the left side or right side but the handles are the same.

I think it may depend on the machine. What size lathe are you talking about? On 9 and 10K models, the levers/tumblers appear to be LH/RH specific. There is an extra boss/flange in the castings on one side only, where the pivot shaft goes through the lever (see picture). The South Bend parts sheet lists them as RH and LH and have different part #'s so I wouldn't think they would be interchangeable. I looked at my Heavy 10 and those levers look like they're the same and could be interchangeable. I don't know about other machines.
Hardy Reel, South Bend Gear Box 005.jpg

Last edited:

Back