What's new
What's new

Southbend 16/24 removal of risers

jwallweyfoundry

Aluminum
i just purchased a 16/24 and I am contemplaiting making this a dedicated 16. has anyone else removed the risers on a lathe and what else will I have to deal with? Possible gear removal/addition to make all work. Here are a couple pictures of it as it arrived into shop.

In my opinion, the main question is: is the base of the compound rest mounted on a raiser, or is it a single piece?
If it is a single piece, you'll need to find a replacement compound or machine a new base for it.

The other question is: why would you want to reduce the swing capabilities of this lathe in the first place?

Paolo

If you remove the riser blocks, Your spindle height will be 4" lower. how tall are you. For the average 6' person, the spindle height should be approximately the distance from your elbow to the floor. Too low and it will kill your back, too high and you won't be able to see what you're doing. South Bend normally makes their machines on the low side for the average person. and you really do not need to be leaning over your work, to see what you're doing. it's not really a good, safe practice. My thought is to leave it as is. Clean it up, make sure it is in good working order and use it for a while. Then ask yourself is it doing what I needed to do, is it too low or too high. if it is too high you can consider removing the riser blocks. But remember 4 inches is a lot when it comes to your back. Even a couple of inches can make a big difference.

just my thoughts.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I guess for now it is a hypothetical question. I am in clean up and rebuild stage. The drive was rebuilt by previous owner now I need continue were he left off. Remove rust and get all parts freed up and moving. Then new felt and such. I am not sure how far I will take this one. Just glad to have a lathe back after selling my 13 instead of moving it. This one seems pretty sound and I have some new parts he bought that I will install in process. I am going to try and get some videos of this one as there seems to be very little info on YouTube for the 16/24. The only problem is greasy fingers and camera don't mix so we shall see.

Two related issues you would have by removing the raiser blocks are: 1) you will likely need a different banjo for the headstock gears and 2) you will need to source a different gear cover too.

Paolo

I have seen a few 16/24's that had the risers removed and been used as a 16, it can be done. Be a shame to do that though. I would try it out and see how you like it. I am not sure how it would be with smaller stuff. Give it a shot, you my be fine with it and like the extra capacity.

That is an interesting machine. Looks like a 1941ish serial, with large dials and a chip pan. 4 step cone pulley too. I wonder if it has cast iron or bronze spindle bearings. Do you still have the chip pan, and a steady rest? Does it have a taper attachment?

Best of luck!

Marc

I just noticed something.. The tag shows a catalog number of 117c, which is a 16x6. I thought 16/24's had catalog numbers of 179 and 198. Do you think someone added the risers later in its life? I did not see a mention of the 16/24 in the 1942 catalog, though I do know riser block machines were available for many years before this one. Do you have a better picture of the side cover?

Interesting machine indeed..

I would be interested in purchasing the risers off of you if you do remove them. Have had a 16 for some time now, and always wanted to convert it to a 24. Let me know if you are interested in selling them.

Thanks,

Tyler

I believe the head stock is not factory original. I got it for great deal when owner passed but it has set for 2yrs. I do have chip pan and follower and steady rest. Plus a pile of extra stuff I am still sorting. I know the tail stock quill is frozen and compound is partially locked . Hand wheel for tailstock isnt correct. Lots of pb blaster. If you want i did a quick video this evening feel free to check it out.
Southbend 16/24 arrival/clean up - YouTube

Back