What's new
What's new

SB 10" Newbee here

SUOMI

Plastic
Just bought a SB 10" today cant't figure out the serial#11477RKR33 guy said it came out of a Milwaukee
high school.Just want to know how old it is.Then I'll be on here a lot!

Maybe you already know, but Grizzly tools is the care taker of the old south bend sales files. For 20 bucks, they can email you a scanned copy of the original card with information as to who they sold it to and when.

New guy here again so I know my 10"SB is a 1959/60 but how do I tell if its a 10K,10L or a heavy 10? Looked at all the photos on this forum and posts seem to vary with the pictures.Or do I need to send a photo out? Its bed has a diamond pattern to it not the 3 posts across that Iv'e seen a couple of.
Thanks

New guy here again so I know my 10"SB is a 1959/60 but how do I tell if its a 10K,10L or a heavy 10? Looked at all the photos on this forum and posts seem to vary with the pictures.Or do I need to send a photo out? Its bed has a diamond pattern to it not the 3 posts across that Iv'e seen a couple of.
Thanks

Per the serial number: 10R (Heavy 10)
Ted

Last edited:
there are 10Rs and 10Ls...both loosely termed "heavy 10" - the difference is the spindle bore, the R means regular and has about a 1" bore, the L means large and has a 1.375" bore.

You have a heavy 10..check your spindle to see which one.

Cool thanks iwananew10k it's 1". Like that name by the way. Did the Grizzly thing just confirms its a 1960 was a repair order not much help. Now I know what I got 'cause need a few things to get it up to snuff. Thanks again and do parts like the ways all fit these 10" like r,k and l. As long as the length is the same?

Last edited:
Cool thanks iwananew10k it's 1". Like that name by the way. Did the Grizzly thing just confirms its a 1960 was a repair order not much help. Now I know what I got 'cause need a few things to get it up to snuff. Thanks again and do parts like the ways all fit these 10" like r,k and l. As long as the length is the same?

Forget the K - smaller

The R and the L share many of the parts but I believe the head stock assembly is not the same. Hole through the spindle is definitely not the same, not certain about the rest of it. 10K parts are different.

head stocks are the same for the R and L and the spindles can be swapped between them...very common for owners of 10Rs to swap a 10L spindle in...

I suspect the serial is confusing SUOMI a bit as it contains a K....as mentioned it has nothing in common with the 10K(light 10)....

Here is a page to decode your serial number(courtesy of Steve Wells and previously linked by kitno455)
http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_index.html
the RKR in your serial means-
R= Heavy 10
K= quick change,friction feed apron(power feeds),underneath motor drive
R= regular spindle bore

A pic of your machine would help because there are many variations on the heavy 10..there are 3 types of gearboxes,2 aprons depending on gearbox,different tailstock types,different cabinet bases,etc. and there is no telling what may have been changed over the years by previous owners.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of ya. I'll try and figure out how to get some photos on/computer smarts not so good hands on stuff great.
Will try this weekend.

Ok you all stupid question of the day coming! Need a new front way for my heavy 10"R. Found a guy with a 42" being what I need but off a 10K. Notice the holes don't all match up but would it work? Price is right and I could match the holes if it's the same width. He won't answer me with the dimensions.

if we are really taking about the front way it is part of the bed and not replaceable.

I think there is a terminology disconnect.

why do you say it's junk?

The ways are ground into the bed, and not able to be replaced independantly. Either you replace the bed or have it re-ground if yours have problems.

Exactly how bad is "junk" ? There can be noticeable wear on these and the machine can still produce perfectly workable parts. If someone broke large chunks out of it with a hammer, then you might have some issues.

Back