What's new
What's new

SB 10L Spindle Swap

Ryan T.

Plastic
I am a new SB 10L owner and have been reading the discussion board...learning all I can. I have an older 10L that has the small 1 7/8-8 spindle. As I look at new tooling, collets, etc, I see that I would be better off with the larger 2 1/4-8 spindle. Back in October 2004 "Morsetaper2" submitted a post on swapping spindles and stated 'it worked like a champ'. I am looking at doing the same thing. My question is, how hard is it to swap to the larger spindle and what parts do I need? It is as simple as a new spindle, and/or new bearings, or do I need to find a new headstock?

Thanks for all the great info on this discussion board.

Well, I have a 1961 10L, dbl tumbler gearbox that came equipped w/ a 1-7/8 x 8 spindle. I had to look at a few beaters, but I eventually found a 2-1/4x8 spindle that was a direct drop in. I dropped the spindle in with the bearings it came with. Had to do a couple iterations of headstock bearing/shim adjustment (per the SB manual). But I ended up with 5C capability and the machine is so much more flexible now. I wouldn't go back.

In hindsight, I should have undertaken some sort of study w/ regard to eccentricity and repeatability using collets for the small spindle. just for my own knowledge. As collet repeatabilty is not perfect w/ the new spindle. Was the old spindle better? Don't know. my collets are all used too. Who knows.

What I mean is, I turn a piece in a collet, release and remove, then replace. And *sometimes* I'll get runout 1" out from collet in the .001-.002 range. Yet the majority of times it is less than .001.

My machine is a former school machine. The replacement spindle was not the best. But it has been adequete. And overall a great improvement.

If you plan on doing this swap I would plan on inspecting a couple spindles. I mean buy a few. Mic them in the bearing areas w/ a .0001 mic. Characterize the wear. After doing a couple you'll see some have lots of wear, some have almost none. Examine the collet taper region for abuse. Compare them to what you have.

I think their is an LOO spindle on ebay now. the ones you don't use will always sell on ebay. They are out there. I bought mine from Dave Sobel.

If I had it to do over, I'd hunt down a d1-4. But I have other projects and not enough time. Read a garage renovation, a shaper, and 10EE that want attention. If I run across a nice D1-4 headstock, I'll probably grab it for later on.

For now, the machine works. In its new place in the garage it turns very accurately (a few .0001's over 6" in a chuck) and its my primary lathe.

The conversion was worth it. Was relatively easy to do. The only special tools you'll need is some gear pullers to get the cone pulley and the end gear off. plus your usual selection of hand tools. And a selection of shims for spindle adjustment. I cut out all new ones as I had plenty of shim stock available to me.

its a great lathe. Probably won't sell it anytime soon. I've got just about all the tooling for it I'll ever need. Its currently setup now to modify chanters for bagpipes. Here's a pic...

10L.jpg

Mark

Ryan T., I would take one of my face plates or backs and cut the hub out of it and screw it on to my spindle and cut 2 & 1/4 X 8 threads on it and then you can use either size tooling. You can screw your bushing on and off at will. Just my 2ct worth. Sicero

Thanks for the ideas. I really would like to go to the larger spindle. I guess within the next couple of months I am going to really clean up the lathe, so it will be a perfect time to swap spindles. I am looking hard at the L00 spindle on ebay. Nobody has bid on it. Is the price in the ballpark?

Hi There,

The only thing about that L00 spindle swap is the missing Wedge Hinge (Part No: AS3721LH2) which looks like an up-side-down letter "J". I was interested in that spindle too until I found out that the Wedge Hinge costs $113.00 from Leblond. I emailed the seller but he didn't have that part either. Then I went off the idea. Too bad too. I have a Logan and a CLausing (not quite in service yet) which are both L00 machines. It would have made a nice set!

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Would the same info apply to the 13" small vs large hole headstock? And if it would, would the single vs double gear selection affect it.

Thanks.

Back