What's new
What's new

SB 10r leadscrew spacer

lectrician1

Hot Rolled
I have about 3/16 side to side play in my leadscrew.
I was thinking about putting a bronze spacer between the end of the threads and the leadscrew support. Is this the best way to solve the problem?
Thanks for your input

If I'm understanding your question correctly, any leadscrew axial thrust loads should be taken up at the gearbox attachment point only. The right end just floats longitudinally.

I would first check to make sure the drive gear and nut are snug inside the gearbox. If they are, and you still have excess play, that's the end that would get the bushing added to compensate.

There should be a double set of nuts attaching the lead screw through the output gear on the box. On mine, I have a thrust ball bearing between the gearbox and the shoulder of the lead screw as well. I think earlier ones just had a thrust washer. Check that you have no missing parts, and that the nuts that secure the lead screw in place are not overly loose. There has to be some slop in there or the screw will bind though. With the second tumbler dropped you ought to be able to spin the lead screw without much effort.

Back