24 TOOTH CHANGE GEAR FOR METAL LATHE MACHINE | eBay

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks johnoder & iwananew10k for your help & research. I'm going to pull my stud gear and measure shaft & keyway this evening, If measuremants match, I'm going to buy it. But if you guys know it will fit, I'll jump on it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

let that compound 100/127 gear dictate all the other gears...hopefully it will be 16DP...if so count yourself very fortunate because 16DP is both common and cheap...in other words no big deal if you have to buy one at a time.

Check all your gears to verify the DP...as Ted said standard gears were 14DP but the metric conversion was 16DP...you could have a mix and that would not be good If ran together....

To reiterate ...take the tooth count of a gear and add 2...divide that by its outside diameter.

example- 30 tooth gear with a 2.00" diameter

30+2= 32
    32 divided by 2.00 = 16DP

Ps- do post your findings as it is useful and searchable info for others

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I pulled the 32 stud gear, its 5/8 wide, bore is 5/8, keyway is 3/16 wide. The one on ebay has a 3/4 bore, Can I press in a bronze bushing to take up the space, and a 1/4 key ground to 3/16×1/4?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, but what is the DP? Might be able to find an exact match.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well all the gears were 16dp, now just need to find a 16dp with a 5/8 bore, 5/8 thick, 3/16 keyway.

The compound idler is a 120/127,

Thanks again iwananew10k,you have been a wealth of knowledge

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is good news! 14DP is a real PITA to find...usually have to make or have those made.

do double check that 64T gear to be sure it isn't the 14DP version....wouldn't want to trash that VERY expensive idler set..

IF your 48T gear is also 16DP you could use it as the stud gear in place of the 24T gear and set the gearbox for 32TPI to cut your 16TPI thread to get by for now to finish your project.

Ps- wealth of knowledge honors should go to Mr. Oder...I learned much of what I know form his postings.

And also a thread with a good clear pic of the gearing chart for cutting metric pitches...( confirms the 127/120 idler configuration too)
    Metric Transposing Gears for SB 13

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I double checked the 64t tumbler gear, its 16dp. Once I find a 24t stud gear, ill be in business.
    Pulled the reversing gear set &the idler, going to solvent tank them tomorrow and replace the wicks & keys. The idler was loose on the shaft & bushing was dry. I may have to re-bush it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll throw this out if you want gears ready to go

American Machine & Gear Works, When it HAS to be right!

he is a member here, and *if* you catch him when he is making some 16DP gears...after all you only need a few to have a complete set to cover all imperial and metric....the hang up with the common off the shelf 16DP gears is the face width, as they only go 1/2" as far as I know.

Might be worth a call, as you already have the 48,64,32,and 26T...that only leaves a 44,40,36,and 28T gears and you would have the full compliment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    Might be worth a call, as you already have the 48,64,32,and 26T...that only leaves a 44,40,36,and 28T gears and you would have the full compliment.
    I see the 64 and 32 tooth gears in his picture.
    What did I miss?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can see the 26 in his pic too and he stated he had the 48

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I might do that, but to be honest, I really need to cut 16, 20, 18,12, 14. Those should cover just about anything that I will do.
    But a complete set would be nice. Like my buddy says, "It will look good in the estate sale".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

if you can find the right gear, you can always make it fit. Bore it or bush it as needed to get the shaft size proper. For the key you can broach it, or use the lathe as a manual shaper and just slowly cut the keyway with a properly ground bit. Its slow, but if you're only doing one and aren't charging by the hour its not impossible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 24 tooth 16DP 14.5PA 1/2" thick. It has two 3/16" keyways and a 3/4" bore. Will work for you. Just get a 3/4-5/8 split bushing and a key and it will fit right on. The key will be .187 X .250 x .500 long. All this stuff is common consumables in a hardware store. Just pay $6.00 shipping and I will send it to you. No charge for the gear. Doesn't get any better than that. Send me a PM if you want it.

15. Likes Tennessee Tater liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Tommy, I really appreciate that. I would like to take you up on your offer, I have sent a pm twice, but when I look in my sent messages they don't show. Please pm me, maybe I will be able to reply to your message.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tater, not my machine but I would Implore you to think this through...running a 1/2" wide gear against a 5/8" gear will work BUT will wear the idler unevenly making it a real clunker when you switch to a 5/8" wide gear...and even though now you do not foresee but a few standard pitches I guarantee work will start presenting itself where you will need that expanded capability...and you can make darn good side money if you have the capability.

IMHO- you should grab that eBay gear, bush it and face it to proper width to preserve the integrity of that nice 127/120 set...price that bad boy and you will see why I say that...even if you don't want to do it yourself likely many ,embers here would be willing to do it...if I had my machines still I would do it myself for you.

Once you have a proper fitting 24T gear then contact the fellow at American Machine and Gear...give him a list of the gears you need to round out your set and he will work with you, whenever he is set up and can whack out one of your needed gears he will and for a very IMO fair price...might take a few months or even a year but in the end you will have a full compliment to cut any pitch that comes down your path and not have to turn away work.

Just my .02 based on my own limited experience.