What's new
What's new

SB 13" Saddle and Apron Clutch Thrust Bearings

55pickup

Plastic
New guy here. I'm working on a 1980 vintage 13" x 5'bed, Cat no. CL0145C, S/N 17048T, Hard bed, D1 spindle, Taper attachment.

The Saddle cross feed Thrust bearings are:
pn AS841H2 (measured id .630, od 1.120, 10 balls, .155 diameter)
pn AS841T2 (measured id .630, od 0.988, 10 balls, .125 diameter)

The cam operated clutch thrust bearings are similar:
pn AS841T2 (measured id .630, od 0.988, 10 balls, .125 diameter)
pn ASA4629TH1 (measured id .630, od 1.120, 10 balls, .155 diameter)

SBLatheman Ted has the H2 bearings, but not the T2. Does anyone have a source for these? These T2 seem to have been used on the 13" cross feed only and the 13" and 14 1/2" clutch.

I bought this lathe several years ago but have just begun work on it. It is a nice machine, probably from a school, more abused than used- the usual chewed up compound from hitting the chuck, but all gears,bearings, and feed screws look good.

The saddle crossfeed bearing at the dial end (Form 911-J,Item 15)is missing balls and the other bearing (item 17)was replaced with a bushing.

The clutch bearings on this lathe are good and were used to get the dimensions, I list these for future reference.

Thanks in advance,
Bert

Not terribly familiar with the 13"...BUT I do have a pretty extensive collection of bearing catalogs...can you post a pic or give a description of the type of bearing and all relevant dims?

I'll try to reference a replacement.

This is the one I need:
pn AS841T2 measured id .630, od 0.988, 10 balls, .125 diameter
ball type thrust bearing with balls in a brass cage and two loose thrust washers .095 thick
I need to get a picture later.

The O. D. seems to be the problem- many available with larger O.D, but cannot be used
Thanks,
Bert

What is the total thickness of the two washers and cage all together?

.095" is needle bearing territory so I assume the .095" is the thickness of one washer?

Also are the washers grooved for the balls of flat?

sorry if the questions seem redundant, just want to be sure before I dig in.

The washers are flat and .095" is the thickness of one washer- total thickness is .315"
Thickness is not critical.

I thought I had found a bearing listed as a INA 2006 from 123 Bearings, but after several messages back and forth I think that is a dead end.

I found this on the Auburn Bearing & Mfg site:
Auburn 101-782= INA 10Y25 Enclosed Ball Brg, Stainless, Round Groove .640" x .995" x .375"
Auburn 101-783= INA 06Y26 Enclosed Ball Brg, Stainless, Round Groove .640" x .995" x .375"
One of these might work, I'll inquire in the morning.
Do any of these numbers show in your books?

Thanks again.

See the images below. The bushing shown at the pinion end should be a ball thrust- it needs to have an O.D. that allows it to clear the internal threads in the saddle.

Did the older/smaller Lathes have ball thrust bearings in this location or bushings? (I have an older 9A but it has been 30 years since I had the saddle apart) The bushing will work but after doing this restoration I'd like to retain the original design/function.

Any ideas or comments?
Thanks

Saddle cross feed.JPGSaddle thrust bearings.jpg

Update:
I found a replacement for the T2 bearing from Auburn Bearing- they don't sell retail, but referred me to Motion Industries. $75 and couple days later I received it:
Crossfeed bushing mod.jpgT2 Bearing.jpg

ID and OD are the same as original but it is .060" thicker- I cut that amount off the Crossfeed bushing to compensate.

I got the H2 bearing from SBLatheman Ted. He said South Bend had these bearings manufactured to their specs.

Bert

Back