What's new
What's new

Hello South Bend Fans!

John Galt

Plastic
Hi and thanks for the great forum full of lots of excellent info.

I just joined and will be looking around for a while. I found this site while looking for info regarding my new to me SBL. It's a 1943 or so (it's at work at the moment so I can't take pics or remember the serial). It has the cast iron bell bottom with under drive and a 3' bed (not hard). It appears to be one that was set up as a turret lathe with a coolant tank as there is a "drain" hole in the chip pan near the base on the right side. It didn't come with the turret but did come with a tailstock without provisions for bed wipers and a really nice telescopic taper attachment. The compound is in really nice shape with no signs of crashing. If I remember, it has 1001Z as the catalog number.

I already got a felt kit and the "how to" book so my plan is to tear down, clean, repair what is needed, repaint, and use it at home. I will be making a new cross feed screw at work on my Monarch CK12 to fit my new nut as there is lots of wear in it.

One thing that I wonder about is the spindle bearings. I have the removable bearing caps but it doesn't look like there are expander screws on top. Does this mean I have plain bearings? If so, do I need to do anything special to remove the caps?

I will provide pics when I can, but it is all in pieces now :-(

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. I'm pretty new here myself, but it has been an excellent source of information and the people on here are very helpful. I'm have no doubt you'll get the info you need. Good luck getting the ol' girl up and running.

Well there was a recent Fed chairman in deep thrall to her & (at least early on) her loopy self-referential ideas.
How did that work out?

smt

Ever meet her? Or some of her acolytes? Don't get me started!

Wisest survivor of the lot long thought to be an empty-headed Latino beauty isn't even significantly Latino and has a seriously more useful IQ and business acumen in her arsenal than the enhancements to her chest profile.

Anyway.. attempted scorekeeper, apologist, or commentator on what is and is not, Alisa was. Good read only if you had the stamina to finish and the wisdom to grok and sieve it all.

Hardly the inventor of either "is" or "is not", any claims to the contrary gone seriously wanting.

:)

Back