What's new
What's new

SB 13 taper attachment

menace

Hot Rolled
I have a sb13, one of the last built #17072T cat# CLO145C and lm looking for a decent taper attachment! Are they interchangeable with a heavy 10 or a 16”? Ebony has a few but they’re expensive as hell and missing parts and damaged.is there any other place that is selling them? Thanks for your help. Steve

According to the SB catalog there are different taper attachments for each model, they each have different specs and shipping weights. The attachment for the 13" is catalog# CL1545T. The ones I have seen have all been pretty salty. I wish you luck in finding one at a decent price.

I'm kind of in the same situation.

I also recently bought an SB13", SN 13478TKX, with the taper attachment. It looks complete except the bed bracket is missing. I'm not looking to sell it, but would definitely be interested if somebody has a spare bed bracket.

I'm not familiar with Ebony. Is that a typo for ebay?

I'm in the midst of putting one together for a 13, I learned that the bed bracket is the same casting as the bracket for the collet rack.
Ted (SBLatheman) may have one or the other.

That was meant to say EBAY didn’t notice till after posting.
I emailed Plaza Machinery about one and am waiting for a reply. Joes son has taken over and will be back soon.

i believe you must email Vincent(Joes son) directly... The email address is in a thread here somewhere, if you do a search you should be able to find it.

It may pay off to just watch for a cheap whole 13" SB that has one, get the parts you want off it and resell /part/scrap the rest.

i believe you must email Vincent(Joes son) directly... The email address is in a thread here somewhere, if you do a search you should be able to find it.

It may pay off to just watch for a cheap whole 13" SB that has one, get the parts you want off it and resell /part/scrap the rest.

Yikes! I'm not too concerned about it being "oem", so it would be easier to build the bracket.

I'm kind of in the same situation.

I also recently bought an SB13", SN 13478TKX, with the taper attachment. It looks complete except the bed bracket is missing. I'm not looking to sell it, but would definitely be interested if somebody has a spare bed bracket.

I'm not familiar with Ebony. Is that a typo for ebay?

I have a bracket for sale.
Send me an email
Ted
[email protected]

What’s purpose of the Babbitt? Alignment? My rod is held on with a nut, never took it apart, I assumed the bed clamp was just bored for the rod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There should be two holes on the top of your bracket where the rod goes in. Are they empty, or full of soft metal?

The rod is to be babbitted into the bracket once everything is aligned "just so". I've had people tell me they didn't babbitt the rod in, that they rely on the nut or nuts - possibly home made rods with a very long threaded area. The nut is called for too, but if babbitted in probably isn't going to see any stress.
Babbitting in place, rather than using threaded fasteners, avoids putting forces on the rod that could misalign the rod with the TA bed.
If I am going to spend all the time it takes to scrape things in to half a thou alignment like the install manual calls for, I am going to use babbitt.

One thing to beware of is babbiting in a racket on a worn bed.
It will be "perfect" in the place it was poured but if there is enough bed wear can bind up when moved.

to see if you might have an issue befor you pour- do the washers and nuts thing to lock the rod in the bracket.

Then move it and see if it jams anywhere, I doubt you have a problem but it pays to check.

I would think you would pour the Babbitt in the place you will most likely use it ( i assume is near the chuck) the bed clamp maybe far enough down the bed that it’s on an relatively unworn part of the bed, but the saddle will be on the part with the most wear.
If the bed is worn much, you are probably better off not even using Babbitt

I'm glad to see the posts here about babbeting the rod to the bed bracket. My bracket arrived from Ted and it is NOS with the babbit ingot included.

I'm trying to figure out how attach the installation instructions to my post, but the forum only seems to allow photos, not a pdf.

A couple questions related to the install:
1. When pouring the babbit, it says to use some kind of putty to seal up the opening on each side of the bracket. That seems a bit odd, wouldn't washers provide enough of a seal, or is the putty to be used as a seal around the washers? The photo in the instructions is pretty foggy from being copied a multitude of times. What kind of putty is this?

2. The instructions state: "Scrape the "V" in the bracket for even clampage". I have zero experience with scraping. What I have read online is that this would involve putting layout dye on the V surface and then slide it back and forth on the bed. Then scraping any high spots in the V and continuing that until the V surface shows even contact.

Other scraping experts can chime in, but this is just a clamp, and as long as it has enough surface area to clamp properly and no rough sharp high spots that can damage the ways I would think you will be fine. What’s the bee surface of the clamp look like now?

Edit: stupid spell check. Vee “V” :)

Back