What's new
What's new

SB 9A "What does this do" Question

kilroyjones

Hot Rolled
On my 9A there is a square head knob next to the threading indicator. I circled it in red in the picture. What does this do? I couldn't find this part listed in any parts diagrams. Thanks KJ

lathe.jpg

The square head bolt in your picture locks the carriage to the lathe bed, during crossfeed operations.

Locks the carriage.

Used extensively when doing so-called "facing" work, in which case you do not want the carriage to move longitudinally along the ways.

Other than threading, a lathe is more properly called a TFB machine ... turning, facing, boring.

If a lead screw is present, as it most often is, then the tool us universal, in that it can do TFB and thread chasing work.

There are good reasons for owning a TFB machine, especially where high production, and cost of equipment are important factors.

For a super-precision shop, one would usually have a so-called "toolroom" lathe, which is universal, and also a so-called "manufacturing"/TFB lathe.

Remember, no need to over-tighten this bolt (mmm, redndancy). The previous owner of my 10L appears to have done this (repeatedly). Well, i know I never did this. Anyways, long story short, the cast iron part that locks the carriages, and the bolt you circled broke on my lathe. I'm gonna make a new set out of steel.

Back