What's new
What's new

SB 9C cone pulley diameters

Long Lonesome

Plastic
Could someone tell me the large (chuck side) cone pulley diameter on their 6-spd 9" South Bend?

Mine has apparently had an outer ring added (spot-welded over the existing pulley) to increase the diameter to approx. 4-5/8". When I bought the lathe last weekend, I noticed there was no right side back-gear guard. I see now why it had been removed - I just got one and it will not fit over the largest cone pulley!

I prefer not to change the guard to fit this somewhat unsightly modification so if I can't get this ring off, I guess the next thing I'll be shopping for is a new cone pulley!

Thanks,

Greg

Bob -

Thanks for the reply. I may get back to you on that after I figure out what's going on here.

When I look at the corresponding (rt. side) pulley on the drive unit spindle, it appears that that one pulley has been reduced somewhat in diameter (haven't measured it yet) - which makes sense, since the circumference relationship between all three pairs must remain constant so that the belt will be under the same tension in all three speeds.

I wonder why someone would go through all the trouble to do something like this?

I restored a 1952 Ford tractor a few years ago. When you're working with some of this old machinery, sometimes you wish it could tell you what all it's been through!

Greg

Hi Greg,

The countershaft pulley steps on my lathe measure 3", 4", and 5" dia. The spindle pulley steps measure 2.25", 3.25", and 4.25" dia. I don't think they have ever been altered. Hope this is of some help.

Paula

Paula -

Thanks for the info. That's just what I needed to know.

Also, I've been looking at some of the pics of your project, and I'm impressed - very nice work!
I hope to do the same with mine after I get all these little problems worked out.

Greg

Back