What's new
What's new

SB belt slipping what to use to stop it?

grinch

Cast Iron
I got a 13in SB and had the head rebuilt. They guy seem to a great job but he cleaned and shined up the cone pully. That with the fact of using a new leather belt it tends to slip alot. The lathe will even come to a complete stop with a heavy cut(belt still moving over cone pully). I've tightend it up plenty but figure I need some sort of belt dressing and was wondering if there is a right one or wrong one?

Just wanted to see what the pros would do.

Thanks
Grinch

Hi There,

There has been a lot of advancement in power transmission since your lathe was made. There are newer synthetic and composite materials that work better than leather. Having said all that, leather will work okay provided you remember to release the tension on your belt when not in use. Otherwise your belt will stretch.

I want to make sure you are running the belt the correct way. The "skin" (smooth) side of the belt is supposed to be against the pulley. The belt should be clean and free of oil. Use benzene or Naptha to clean your belt. Some people resort to spray-on belt dressings (obtainable at auto parts stores) to stop the slipping. But in my experience, a clean belt doesn't slip (except under high resistance).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

Back