What's new
What's new

SB D1-4 cam lock cam missing detent spring & plungers what are they made of?

samo

Cast Iron
Setting up a lathe for a customer (SB 13" w/ a cam lock spindle) and when I took the chuck off the three cams that are turned to lock the pins on chuck are all missing the spring and plunger that fit in the groove of the cam, the socket head capscrews are in place but someone removed the springs and plungers. Looks like if you turned the lathe on without a chuck in place the three cams would shoot out right at your head!
I can make the plungers just curious if someone knows if they are steel or brass. On the parts list they seem to all be the same for 10" thru 16" machines with D1 Cam lock spindles. The other South Bend lathes I have are threaded or L00 spindles so I don't have any thing to compare it too. Incase it is not clear below is a link to the PDF parts list (second page down) :
Thanks for any advice.
Sam

http://www.wswells.com/partslist/961A.pdf

Plungers are available from Mac-it for $2.96 each see here Mac-It
Springs are likely off the shelf item if memory is right they are 3/16" diameter, 1/2 long and 9 turns of .032 wire.
If want to make them all the dimensions are on the ASME/ANSI B5.9 spindle noses standard which I can't find my copy of right now.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but could anyone help me with an online source for the springs? I got the rest from Mac-it but couldn't find any springs.

Thanks in advance!
Rick

Just had this problem with a 10L I bought. It had the D1-4 spindle but it was bare. I bought the plunger and cam from macit and the springs came from Mcmaster Carr the part number is 9435K3. They were slightly longer than what I measured from another one of my lathes but not much at all. It all fit together nicely.

Back