What's new
What's new

SB Fourteen feed clutch

Lapoltba

Plastic
So I got this lathe last year and I just got around to getting the VFD installed and wiring it up. It runs well with the VFD and I have even retained the reeves drive speed adjustment.

The feed lever however, is not adjusted correctly and is possibly broken. It does engage, but it is far too loose. I found the operation and maintenance manual and attempted to follow the adjustment procedure. The lever spins freely, and I could not locate set screw "U" on the lever. There is just an empty hole there.

I have not disassembled the apron yet and I was hoping to avoid that if possible. Anyone with a little more experience with these lathes have a suggestion?

Pics help a lot. Are you talking about selection lever, or clutch lever ? And is the clutch engaged with a throw type lever, or a somewhat circular handle/knob that spins to engage/disengage clutch ?

So I got this lathe last year and I just got around to getting the VFD installed and wiring it up. It runs well with the VFD and I have even retained the reeves drive speed adjustment.

The feed lever however, is not adjusted correctly and is possibly broken. It does engage, but it is far too loose. I found the operation and maintenance manual and attempted to follow the adjustment procedure. The lever spins freely, and I could not locate set screw "U" on the lever. There is just an empty hole there.

I have not disassembled the apron yet and I was hoping to avoid that if possible. Anyone with a little more experience with these lathes have a suggestion?

The hole in the lever (cam) is just a hole, access to the screw in the swivel nut. Move the lever until you find the hex head screw. I forget what size Allen wrench it is, but it just fits through the hole.
Then follow the directions in the manual.
Ted

So yeah... Tried to edit my reply on the mobile site and it just decided to delete my entire post. Cool.

It's a lever type clutch. I did find the screw. The hex head was filled with crud. Loosened the screw and the lever and pivot block spin with the threaded shaft that exits the apron. It seems like there is a key or pin sheared somewhere. I think the only way to fix it is going to be to disassemble the apron.

Back