What's new
What's new

SB "Fourteen" transmission

Nhopa

Plastic
Hi:

For reference my lathe's serial no. is 71TT442
My transmission shaft "A" oil seal was leaking, so I pulled off the pulley and the bearing cover. Couple of observations:
1. The pulley was installed on the shaft with a thin shim around the 1" dia shaft.
2. The spring washer was missing between the inside of the cover and the bearing outer race.
3. The bearing is not a ball bearing as the drawing call for but a cylindrical roller bearing (perhaps tapered).
4. I can move shaft "A" in the axial direction about a 1/8".
Questions:
1.Should I take out the transmission and check out the rest of the seals and bearings?
2.Where can I buy a replacement spring washer?
3. Does the spring washer suppose to press the bearing 's outer race against the shaft shoulder, thus minimizing "A" shaft's axial movement?
Thank you for your time and help, Nhopa.

I'm not sure that I can help much, but my Fourteen is a 70 model with the shifter on the top corner of the transmission. None of the transmission break downs in the pdf of the parts catalog that i have seem to show this arrangement although there seems to be something amiss with the pages in the transmission section that I have, like it is missing a page or something.

I've been working on changing oil in mine and I have found that it takes forever to get it to take oil, it does not seem to have a breather on it.

In regards to your questions!
1. Yes, I would be inclineded to pull it out and check through the rest of it given that you have found one issue.
2. McMaster Carr does carry some bearing washers -search under Belleville Disc Springs for Ball Bearings. I'm sure that any bearing/power transmission supply house could get them for you also.
3. Not positive, but seems that would be the purpose.

- David

Hi daw53:
Thank you for the reply. On my transmission the shifter is also located on the top corner and I also have not seen this arrangement in any of the publications I have access to. I agree to pull the transmission out probably the best bet but I don't want to mess with the upper end of the reeves drive. If I could get the special belt off from the reeves then getting the transmission out would not be difficult. Do you know if you have ball bearings or cylindrical bearings in your transmission.

SB transmission

Hi daw53:
Correction to my previous email. If you look at www.wswells.com-data-parts_7014-1980-bulletin-7014-A-p..., on page 18 it shows that the transmission speed changer shaft does come out at the corner of transmission top cover. But later on in the detailed part section only the side entry speed changer shaft arrangement is shown. If we could get the correct detail drawing, we would be set. Take care, Nhopa.

Nhopa,

Fortunately for me, I don't know what type of bearings are in the transmission.

The manual from the wswells site is what I have also.

Sorry that I can't help too much on this issue.

- David

Back