What's new
What's new

SB Heavy 10 cost

njdevi11

Plastic
After watching way to much abom79, AVE and This old Tony, I'm looking to buy a southbend heavy 10 to use for hobby and learning and I figured you guys might be some help.

I found one in good shape however, if it was a car, I'd call it a rolling chassis on bald tires. There is no motor, no chucks, no thread dial, no steady rest, no centers, no drill chucks and otherwise no tooling. There is a standard lantern tool holder, a tail stock and 2 mounting plates. It's disassembled because a previous owner was refurbishing / painting it before the person who has it now acquired it.

THE GOOD: there is almost no runout on the spindle, no marks or nicks or wear on the ways. I'm not afraid of putting it back together, or fabri-cobbling something if I need tool holders or adapters etc. I'm afraid that even though I went over it and found all the major components are there in the boxes, It might be missing stuff I've overlooked. I know these go for a lot since they've got a big spindle bore for a lathe this size. What's it worth in this extremely sparse trim since it's going to need about another $1000 in stuff to be reasonably useful? $500, $750, $1000? More/less?

22547724_1762996640667858_307726715_n.jpg

Stuff I'll need to add.
Need:
Motor $150 (was going to go with Hazard Fraught 220v 2hp to get going, then 3ph with vfd eventually)
3 or 4 Jaw Chuck $250
Drill chuck $50
Thread Dial: $150
Live Center: $50
Home Made Drawbar + Collet adapter + Collets: $200-$300
Fresh Belt $50
Misc stuff I might be forgetting (bearings, bolts, pins, etc) $100-$200

Nice to have:
Milling adapter: $350
Steady rest: $250
Another Chuck $250
QCTP: $150
Insert tooling: $Arm/Leg

If you keep an eye on the VA craigslist there will be one for sale tonight or tomorrow morning.

4' bed, 1960's with toggle clutch, large dials, thread dial, wide range box
1hp, 3ph
not mint but very nice, very well kept
has taper attachment
6" Bernerd 3-jaw with reversible jaws
8" Skinner 4-jaw
dog plate
face plate
steady rest
Jacob's chuck
Live center
Aloris AXA with 2 holders
multi position carriage stop

You may or may not end up with that lathe. But just for future reference, you do not need a 2HP motor to run a Heavy 10. You could run that lathe (and all the rest of them) with a 3/4 hp motor. You could even run it successfully with a 1/2 HP motor. There's no need to factor in the cost of a monster motor because the belt system won't transmit that much power.

Much better...toss a 1K offer and you can't really lose, as long as all that is pictured comes with it.

I already sent him a message that I want to come look, I'll send another to see if he replies, I'll grab some cash and hopefully he likes the color of green. Is that a draw bar on it? What kind of work holding adapter is that?

You may or may not end up with that lathe. But just for future reference, you do not need a 2HP motor to run a Heavy 10. You could run that lathe (and all the rest of them) with a 3/4 hp motor. You could even run it successfully with a 1/2 HP motor. There's no need to factor in the cost of a monster motor because the belt system won't transmit that much power.

Noted, The 1/2 hp ($120), 1 hp ($160) and 2 hp ($160) HF motors are about the same price. I figured they are crap so get the strongest one and it'ell last longer. But if it can go down to 1/2hp then I can probably find something used off a compressor or drill press.

Back