What's new
What's new

SB Shaper - How to Remove Ball Handle

RLamparter

Hot Rolled
I want to remove the ball handles so I can clean them up. The handles are held in place with a slotted nut. Getting the nut off was easy. The handles appear to be a sliding fit and kept from turning by a longitudinal pin. I couldn't get a gear puller to grab the handle. Tapping lightly under the handle didn't budge it. I could keep hitting it harder, but maybe some of you have found a better way to removed the handles. Is there a secret to removing these handles?
01 Slotted nut on handle (Large).jpg02 Handle with nut removed (Large).jpg03 Handle with nut removed (Large).jpg

I've used a two jaw puller on stubborn ones, I think someone posted that they used a faucet handle puller that they may have modified slightly.

Paul

Yup, they stick. A (gentle) tapping from behind with a rubber mallet will help to persuade it to come off. I've used two at the same time to equally distribute the tapping-action.

This was my solution for the same issue on a South Bend lathe. I finally found an application where Jacobs wedges actually work...ha.

Saddle 04.jpgSaddle 05.jpg

That was ingenious using the chuck removal wedges. I used a bearing separator to get something behind the handle to grab on to. Mine weren't on very tight. I was able to turn the gear puller screw by hand to get the handle started coming off. I need to figure out how to take the ratchet mechanism off the cross feed next so that I can clean the micrometer collar.
04 Handle being removed with bearing separator (Large).jpg05 Pulling the handle off (Large).jpg06 Polished handle on shaft before new nut made (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Back