What's new
What's new

SB shaper question, part 1 of 1,000,000

Steve Voigt

Plastic
Hi all,

I got an SB 7" shaper this weekend. It's going to need a lot of tlc, and I'm just getting started, but here's the first "issue" I have.

Behind the cover plate, there's a very thin oil tube that ends in a curlicue. Picture below. Does the curly end attach to anything, or is it just loose and dripping into the sump?

Second, while trying to figure out where this tube went, the other end popped out of the hole it fits into. Doh! I pushed it ack in, but it doesn't want to stay. Does anyone know, is the tube just a friction fit, or is it supposed to be brazed or??? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3871.jpgIMG_3869.JPG

Hi all,

I got an SB 7" shaper this weekend. It's going to need a lot of tlc, and I'm just getting started, but here's the first "issue" I have.

Behind the cover plate, there's a very thin oil tube that ends in a curlicue. Picture below. Does the curly end attach to anything, or is it just loose and dripping into the sump?

Second, while trying to figure out where this tube went, the other end popped out of the hole it fits into. Doh! I pushed it ack in, but it doesn't want to stay. Does anyone know, is the tube just a friction fit, or is it supposed to be brazed or??? I have no idea.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 198186View attachment 198187
There should be an oil line going to both sides of the ram ways, and one that hangs above the bull gear & slide that drips into the little catch pan on the top of the slide (someone can correct me if there's another - not in front of mine right now). There shouldn't be one that just hangs down over the sump in a curlicue. My guess would be that is the one that should be over the bull gear and the previous owner mangled it somehow. I know the oil lines are brazed into the block of the pump in the bottom of the sump, and the one over the gear is brazed to a little block along with one for the ram up top. There are some good pictures of what I'm describing in this article.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-shaper-restoration-317313/
-Eric

There should be an oil line going to both sides of the ram ways, and one that hangs above the bull gear & slide that drips into the little catch pan on the top of the slide (someone can correct me if there's another - not in front of mine right now). There shouldn't be one that just hangs down over the sump in a curlicue. My guess would be that is the one that should be over the bull gear and the previous owner mangled it somehow. I know the oil lines are brazed into the block of the pump in the bottom of the sump, and the one over the gear is brazed to a little block along with one for the ram up top. There are some good pictures of what I'm describing in this article.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/south-bend-shaper-restoration-317313/
-Eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks very much, that helps a lot. Just one followup question: Is soldering a legit option for re-attaching that tube, or does it have to be brazed?
Thanks!

Hi Eric,
Thanks very much, that helps a lot. Just one followup question: Is soldering a legit option for re-attaching that tube, or does it have to be brazed?
Thanks!
Soldering will work since it's copper. It doesn't have to be brazed.

Well there must have been alterations during the time they manufactured these shapers that came with the pump system. Mine has an aluminum block as the pump body and the same material was used for the oil lines. In that case proper cleaning and the right Lock Tite product could do it as well if the holes aren't too large. And if you have that many questions Steve I'd highly recommend you pick up a copy of the South Bend user manual for these shapers. Or there's online PDF's of the manual if you haven't already downloaded a copy. www.wswells.com has a lot of good PDFs of the technical information as well. If I remember correctly I got a printed manual from Ozarkwoodworker.com

Hi ecosta and neanderthal mach, thanks for the help, and sorry for not responding earlier. I've been out of town and didn't remember to check this forum. I'll try soldering or loc-titing those oil connections. And yes, I have a pdf of the manual! Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it.

Back