What's new
What's new

SB Step Pulley

midnightmoon

Aluminum
I have a step pulley setup for my lathe but its a flat belt 4 pulley and my headstock is a 5 pulley v belt. Im looking for a 4 or 5 pulley vbelt style. I've been running the lathe 1 to 1 right from the motor with a 3 phase motor and vfd but I need more torque for threading and heavy cuts. I need to reworked this step pulley set up so it will work with my lathe. It will be a little mismatched because my lathe is a 5 pulley vbelt 10k and I think the step pulley I have is from an old 9" but not sure. I need to pull it apart and see whats what. Any dirrection where I might find one would be great. All I need is the pulley.

Thanks

Sounds like someone either changed your spindle pulley to a vee drive or they lost the rest of the vee drive and put on a flat belt pulley. Getting one vee pulley for the drive may be hard to find as people don't split them up...Bob

step pulley

Yes Im hoping to get lucky or find something aftermarket that will work. Its 3/4" arbor. The lathe didnt come with the step pulleys. The set I have is from something I came across for free.

or just go flat belt

Your alternative is to swap the headstock pulley for the flat belt style, and sell your v-belt piece on ebay.
You won't have quite so many speed options, but since you already have a FD it would give you a much wider range.

The flat belt ones come up for sale regularly.

Josh

step pulley

Acme Thread can send me an email [email protected] with a total shipped to 13126
So the 3/4" hole isnt all the way through its just 2" deep?
Also is the top of the v 5/8 and the bottom 1/2"?
I want to make sure the 2 pulleys will line up relatively close.
I only need a 4 pulley step I dont know how to count I thout the headstock had 5 grooves. Can you measure outside to outside of 4 of the pulleys?

Thanks

the steps need to be pretty much dead on or i think you`ll have trouble getting the belt to fit all steps without having to adjust the tension each time you move it.

if you make one you can measure across a couple 1/2" dowel pins to get the steps right.

step pulley

OOoops I quess if I read your post I would have seen the sizes. My largest pulley needs to be 5" and down from there. 8" is a little big

Hmmm the steps have to mach the head stock steps correctly? Im a rookie in the machining venue but as long as they are even steps on each set one could have 1/2" steps and the other 1" steps and as you move the belt the change is the same belt tension wouldnt be a factor. What Im worried about is the spacing between each groove If they are not the same between the two sets of pulleys one would line up but the farther one will be off a little more in each step. I could make a pulley but my time and $$ is limited. Whats a 5"x4" round chunk of aliminum cost these days?

i`ve not done it but it seems like it wouldn`t be hard to just cut one out of a chunk of aluminum.

Yup you just need a 90 dollar chunk of aluminum and a few hours been there. I can measure my pulley if you want to make one. Its a little bigger dia than the one in the headstock...Bob

Yup you just need a 90 dollar chunk of aluminum and a few hours been there. I can measure my pulley if you want to make one. Its a little bigger dia than the one in the headstock...Bob

dag! prices have gone up! almost makes buying an original seem worth it.:willy_nilly:

i`d have to make individual steps just to save stock.:)

I would just toss the pulleys you have and buy a used set of flat or V's. The 10k didn't come with a 5 step v-pulley anyway, it was a 4 pulley setup for a total of 8 speeds not 10.

I came across this thread and, while I understand it is a few years old, I thought I would ask if the user, Acme Thread, might still have that 6 step pulley or another one similar to it. If so, could you tell me if it is a "B" type pulley and what the overall height is?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not sure what you decided to do on the pulley replacement...but don't lose sight of the fact that "flat" pulleys aren't flat. They have a crown to keep the belt centered on each step.

IIRC, the chord height spec is 0.020" of crown per inch of belt width. Probably not a critical dimension, but just turning a flat shoulder isn't likely to work well.

Back