What's new
What's new

SB vs 14X40 Offshore lathe?

torker

Cast Iron
I REALLY need a bigger, faster lathe. What SB should I be looking for that would compare with roughly the same features as the POS 14X40? Which ones should I avoid? There must be some odd ball ones that you can't get parts for etc. I'm almost tempted to trust a dealer in the US and pay the huge shipping bill to Canada. I'd still be money ahead and should end up with a better lathe. Thanks for any advice.(Jeeez am I ever getting the wife's new keyboard greasy...ooopps)
Russ

One thing to consider, the spindle through hole on current 14x40's is usually 1-1/2", while on the older South Bends, the largest through hole is about 1-3/8", even on the large 16 inch SB. If you need larger than 1-3/8", you might have to consider something like a big LeBlond.

Owww... good point. Thats one of the things I like about the 14X40, that's one of the things I hate about my 9". Most of the stuff I do is 1 1/4" and up. You know it's a PITA to center drill everything that could easily be popped into a 1 1/2" hole. I thought a bigger SB would naturally have a big hole. Hmmmm.

Think this one out carefully.

A 14 1/2 south bend and it's first cousin, the 16 inch South Bend (a good many parts are intercangeanbe) is huge compared with the 9 inch machine.

The spindle bore of the larger machines will clear 1 3/8 inch.

The 16 inch machine will go as fast as 980 rpm, the 14 1/2 machine - 875 rpm.

These lathes are always very smooth running and very quiet, especially with the end gears disengaged or when running slowly.

If you are running a craft shop, repair shop or home shop where there is seldom the burden of heavy cutting or production schedules don't overlook these lathes.

They are good, steady lathes and they don't have all the gearshift levers and other complicated stuff sticking out all over. They are just as heavy in the bed and saddle and tailstock as many of those off shore lathes of greater complexity and lesser dependability.

I have seen 16 inch South Bend lathes working right alongside LeBlond Regals and Clausing Colchester 17 inch lathes in the various printing machine reapir shops that I have worked in.

The South Bend will do most of the work the more expensive and more complicated lathes will do. They just don't have the power for the high speed heavy cuts. However in the repair shops that kind of cutting is not an everyday occurrance.

The South Bends reamin virtually maintenance free - just oil them up and go. This is not so, especially with the Colchesters.

Large as they are, the 16 inchers are free running and responsive, they are sweet natured machines, you don't have to crank your shoulder off to move the saddle or cross slide around. You won't cuss and moan if you change over to a 5C collet and want to turn off some small work.

There are some of these lathes on the used market that are in very nice condition and the price won't break the bank.

You can get one and then if you need a bigger lathe than that -

Come over to the General Forum and we'll talk about Pratt & Whitneys and Lodge and Shipleys and Big Monarchs.

Torker, if all of my work was 1 and1/2 and over I would get a 16" oriental lathe at least. These have a 2" spindle bore. I believe you make aliving with your tools, correct?.

If you buy a new import you can spend your time making money with your lathe, rather than fixing up a used lathe. Good used lathes are hard to find in most of the states and impossible in Canada.

I've owned around 12 used lathes, but for paying work I would get an import and run the snot out of it. When (if) you wear it out buy another one. Keep your 9" for emergencies or jobs when your money making lathe is set up for something else.

Jim...great info (as usual). I am trying to be careful with what I do here that's why I respect your opinions. #1...I have to be realistic about what I'm doing. I REALLY like my 9". It's simple to repair and setup. It can easily turn .001 with the 3 jaw. With the 4 jaw it will turn as good as my measuring equipment will allow. I had a 9" before and I've used the big (abused) lathes at work and this 9" I have now will out turn any of them. I like that part but it's too slow/small for the direction that my business venture is taking me. I knew that from the start. I also had a plan to buy a 14X40. Then I found this and other boards and have spent a lot of time in the archives. I've been looking for older equipment up here. There will be 2 18"English Crowthorne lathes coming up for sale in the future here. Beautiful lathes.. used in a repair shop since the 50"s. Problem....there is a fair amount of repair that needs to be done to these. Parts prices are outrageous. A small gear that had to be replaced was $2500 and it took a month to get it. No thanks. That's my biggest complaint with the offshore stuff. I've had machines in the past that I either couldn't get parts for or it took forever to get them. Used parts??? Where?? Seems to me I can get parts and have them shipped up here by air within a couple days if I had a more common US lathe. I've also talked to machinery dealers up here, all is fine until I ask them a specific question about the machine...then I find out they are only sales guys and don't have a clue. I can't take the time for a 10 to 24 hr round trip to check these out myself. Still want to research this avenue more. Maybe quassi is right...get it over with and git makin money! Every one I've shown my stuff to wants to handle it...I just can't get it done fast enough. Thanks for your thoughts.
Russ

Back