What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Wiring Problem...HELP

Lee241

Plastic
New member, first time posting.
I recently purchased a SB 10x36 lathe and hope to learn a new skill/hobby. The machine was disassembled for moving and, for some reason unknown to me, the complete wiring harness and barrel switch were disconnected. So now, I'm in the process of trying to wire this thing up and have been unsuccessful so far...much to my own embarrassment. Anyway, it's a dual voltage, 1/2hp Westinghouse motor which I'd like to wire using the reversing barrel switch connected to a typical 115v outlet.
I'm pretty sure it's a capacitor motor (...right?) which I believe accounts for the extra red and yellowish wires inside the motor terminal box. I've added some pictures I hope will help provide the information needed to gain some help with wiring this motor. Lee

IMG_0844.jpgView attachment 219978IMG_0842.jpgIMG_0843.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Well, after not receiving any response, I decided to return to an earlier post I originally began to read on PM but, at the time, felt it wasn't really answering my question and seemed to be far too in depth.

In depth, YES...but it turned out to be exactly what I needed and answered my questions above. I just finished wiring this capacitor (split phase) motor up to 115v, through a reversible Square D drum switch.
It works perfect and I couldn't be happier! This 1942-ish SB Heavy 10 is purring away.

So, for those of you who may be reading this because you have the same (or similar) question about wiring a dual voltage motor, go to the PM link below. The author, Iron_junkie did an incredible job teaching the reader about these motors and how they work. Once he explains the basics, he works step-by-step to show the reader how to wire the motor and a switch...simply amazing.

I'm not sure if Iron_junkie is still posting and/or continues to help newbies like myself, but I tip my hat to his unselfish effort to help us out solving a wiring problem. I can't say enough praise for his effort and postings.

So, if you're looking for an answer to wiring your motor, start from the beginning of Iron_junkie's response to the thread titled: "Help Please-Wiring the Switch to the motor" posted by yort81 (28 Dec 2012). Don't skip anything and read all the way through, then go back and apply the steps to your own project...you WILL be successful and you'll be pleased that you were able to solve your problem.

Thanks again to all, especially Iron_junkie!
Good luck.

PM link to the referenced thread:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/help-please-wiring-switch-motor-257832/

Lee241

Back