What's new
What's new

SB9 Collet System

jimmyb11

Aluminum
I have just spent an hour or so looking through previous posts so I am not being lazy. Here is my quandary.

I have a SB9 Model A and I need to do some work that needs collets. I have located all the options but I wonder what is the best options and/or limitations of each style. Any feedback is appreciated

3C drawbar with collets from Tools for cheap $230 includes 7 collets

5C collet chuck from CODCO $160 plus collets

MT3 collets from many places $15-20 each collet plus a drawbar

ER32 collet chuck from Little MAchine Shop $168 includes chuck and collet

Post away, feedback welcome.

ER 40 and your steel and time to make. Just buy the collets...Bob
Lots of pics here>>> http:groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Attachments

• 735b[1].jpg
    735b[1].jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 231
Bob's right again, kinda, I like ER40 for it's ability to close down to the next lower size, makes switching between inch and metric a breeze. What's the size limit on ER40? 1"? I also have a 5C chuck that I started out with originally but rarely use. Good up to 1 1/8". Instead, I use a Jacobs rubberflex these days because they're so darn accurate and hold stock up to 1 3/8". Of course you'll still be limited to 1/2" through the spindle. -Mike

Great feedback guys, so.........I need an MT3 ER40 collet chuck and most likely a wrench for it and then buy the collets as I need and I can use the same collets on a mill. This is better than going the 3C route which are not as readily available and really are for use on the SB lathes.

I wouldn't get a MT3 collet chuck. That won't allow you to run tubing through the headstock, so you are stuck with pretty short pieces of metal to work on.

You want a collet chuck which threads onto the spindle and which is open in the center.

The MT3 ones are really meant for milling machines where you don't run stock through the spindle.

alex (learned this the hard way)

Alex is right - I've also been there, done that. I ended up making a collet chuck to go with my ER-32 collets, similar to what aametalmaster did for his ER-40's. I have a bunch of different collet setups, and I think the ER series is the way to go: they fit any size up to their upper limit, and with a shop made chuck allow stock to pass through the spindle as large as the spindle will allow. Resist the idea to get an ER chuck that fits in the spindle taper, it limits your stock length too much.

If you don't want to make your own chuck, then I think any setup that allows stock to pass through the spindle is preferable - best is probably the one SB intended for the lathe.

Blob

Excellent feed back, I will try to make a collet chuck, any drawings to assist in the tapered portion for the collet is welcome, ER 32 or 40. I have a 1 1/2" #8 spindle on the headstock.

I think I will make a drawbar and experiment with some 3C's but I would rather invest in ER collets that can be used in a mill as well.

Any specs or drawings on draw bars for an SB9"?

Check the previous post by aametalmaster - his site has a lot of pictures and pretty well explains how to make your own chuck. You'll need to join the group, but it's no big deal.

Blob

One other thing to consider is what diameter stock you will be working with. My $100 9A came with a 3c lever closer and about 20 collets. It works great but the trouble is you are limited to about .500 maximum size collets. Also some of the style drawbar style setups do not have a pass through for material.

The spindle bore is only 3/4 so I am comfortable with smaller collets. I am leaning to an ER collet chuck, if I see a std 3C drawbar I will pick it up, my lathe has a lonely original collet rack on it.

I may be persuaded to make some ER40 collet chucks, i will have some time this winter. But i just want to do the basic fitting like an unfinished kit, the OD will need to be done to suit by the new owner. I will fit the collet, make the nut and thread the body for the spindle and nut. At least thats what i am thinking...Bob

I have a 5C chuck among my other setups, and it's a good one if you want to chuck larger diameter workpieces, just as long as they are fairly short, or you can support the end with the tailstock. I think one advantage of the ER over the 5C is there is less overhang, and of course 5C's are only available in exact sizes, whereas ER's will fit any size up to their maximum. The 5C is also a little clumsier to use. Heh, it's actually nice to have both - you can't have too many tools, ya know! :-)

Blob

I too would like to guinea pig. and on a broader base. I have a 9, with 1 1/2" x 8. I also have an 11, with 1 5/8" x 8. It just seems that an ER40 speed chuck of some kind and collets up to the spindle inner bore is the way to go. Could even go to bigger collets where pass through wouldn't work, so that your only limit is your spindle bore. Same could be said for larger bores. They just get the benefit of bigger collets that still allow pass through. Definitely shorter than a hardinge speed chuck. or any other 5c speed chuck. ER40 are plentiful, and it sounds like it would be a better setup.

I too would like to guinea pig. and on a broader base. I have a 9, with 1 1/2" x 8. I also have an 11, with 1 5/8" x 8. It just seems that an ER40 speed chuck of some kind and collets up to the spindle inner bore is the way to go. Could even go to bigger collets where pass through wouldn't work, so that your only limit is your spindle bore. Same could be said for larger bores. They just get the benefit of bigger collets that still allow pass through. Definitely shorter than a hardinge speed chuck. or any other 5c speed chuck. ER40 are plentiful, and it sounds like it would be a better setup.

Well, did you realize you just replied to an 8 year old thread?

I realize you're knew here, but the chances of these people reading your reply are slim. Bob is around, but I suspect even if he did make some in the past, they are long gone.

Lol, sorry. Don't know how that popped up. Reminder to self to always check the date of the OP.

Back