What's new
What's new

SB9C milling attachment

Evan

Titanium
I thought I'd show the milling attachment I made last year for my SB9.

It was not difficult to make and cost less than $50 cdn for parts and materials.

mill2.jpg

I used the top slide for the vertical axis. It has a X,Y range of 2.25x 4.5".

It can be set up in about two or three minutes.

mill1.jpg

It works well, far more rigid than the available ones on the market. It is all aluminum, very thick sections. I use the existing bolt holes in the cross slide to attach it.

The attachment is aligned by the use of two setscrews in the ears that bear on the back end of the cross slide.

mill3.jpg

I can take a profile cut of 1/8" X 1/4" in steel with a 3/4" end mill without problems.

I had thought about doing something similar but my coumpound is the most worn piece on my lathe. I have the gibs locked right now just to keep the flex out of things. If I got a better compound I woud probably try it. Now that I think of it with a set up like that I could use a compound off of anything as long as its from a 9-12" lathe it ought to work.

I like the way you have your attachment offset towards the back of the lathe to help keep parts in the middle of the range of travel.

I am not anticipating anything real rigid from a milling attachment. I have milled a little by bolting and shimming things on the compound and I can imagine that is a little more rigid than a milling attachment. I am looking for a real mill but don't really have the room for one right now.

Thanks for the replies

Brian Helmuth

Back