What's new
What's new

SBL 13" Missing Taper Jig

jvaliensi

Plastic
Hi,
My machine, which is a single tumbler 1941 vintage lathe originally came with a taper jig. It was not with the machine when I got it. Which is OK for me because for the stuff I make it is not needed.
But this leave the dovetail cross slide way open and the end of the cross feed screw un supported. I'm trying to find a cross feed way cover. But what should I do about the cross feed screw? Its been OK for the past 12-years and I currently overhauling the machine so I figure this is the time to fix everything.

Non-taper South bends 10L and larger have unsupported back sides on the cross-feed screws. I think your machine did not have a taper attachment, you are just missing the cover.

allan

I am fairly certain this machine had the taper jibs because the bolts and dowels are still in place on the saddle. Someone must of modified the cross feed screw, I have not taken it down yet.

Non-taper South bends 10L and larger have unsupported back sides on the cross-feed screws. I think your machine did not have a taper attachment, you are just missing the cover.

allan

Taper attachment-equipped SB lathes use a telescoping leadscrew where cross slide reaction forces are anchored at the back via the TA cross tube. Sounds like someone made the swap to the front-anchored solid screw after removing the TA or your crossfeed screw wouldn't work at all.

I would recommend comparing what you have to the parts lists for machines with and without TAs before deciding what to do next.

Installing a TA correctly is more tedious than you might think. Involves several critical measurements with 10ths indicators, handscraping, and Babbitt pouring. Totally doable, but isn't just a bolt-on exercise without your original parts aligned from the factory.

Back