What's new
What's new

SBL 450 - TAPER ATTACHMENT - Need to purchase

aceball

Plastic
Hi Folks,

Newbie here, so I hope this is the right forum to post question. (if not please move)

I have recently purchased a 98-99 vintage South Bend 450 machine along with a same vintage SB Mill, all in pristine shape! Hope I none OK? I am looking for a Taper Attachment which appears quite elusive to find. Any help appreciated.

BTW, I am truly a novice since my machining experience dates back to High School in the early 70's, only year and half before Vietnam. So I'm just now retiring back into a business of making chips which was my first love. Yes, now like a kid in a candy store!

The reason for the Taper Attachment - rifle barrel contouring. I need that control to build some first class products, and to keep our independence from working around the schedules of other shops.

I’ve considered just building our own. The length of taper is 0.25-.5 over 24-30-38 inches. Eventually, I’ll need to incorporate some form of custom contours.
A catalogue number, link to check, etc. would be appreciated.

Tom

I know nothing about the Southbend 450 and I'm going to guess very few people here do. It was kind of a tween year lathe. Not sure if it was US made or Taiwanese made but it is neither one of the old ones made in huge numbers nor one of the new Grizzlies. I think it is a real long shot for you to find a taper attachment for it and you might as well start making your own, especially if you want to incorporate "custom contours".

Found this with some googling. Catalog # for the taper is DL1545B.

http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/SBL-South-Bend-450-17in-Geared-Head-Engine-Lathe.pdf

Teryk

Could be hard to find, so you might end up adapting a taper attachment from another similar sized lathe. If you know you will eventually want to follow a pattern, what about adding a hydraulic tracer instead?

allan

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, so I hope this is the right forum to post question. (if not please move)

I have recently purchased a 98-99 vintage South Bend 450 machine along with a same vintage SB Mill, all in pristine shape! Hope I none OK? I am looking for a Taper Attachment which appears quite elusive to find. Any help appreciated.

BTW, I am truly a novice since my machining experience dates back to High School in the early 70's, only year and half before Vietnam. So I'm just now retiring back into a business of making chips which was my first love. Yes, now like a kid in a candy store!

The reason for the Taper Attachment - rifle barrel contouring. I need that control to build some first class products, and to keep our independence from working around the schedules of other shops.

I’ve considered just building our own. The length of taper is 0.25-.5 over 24-30-38 inches. Eventually, I’ll need to incorporate some form of custom contours.
A catalogue number, link to check, etc. would be appreciated.

Tom

The 450 wasn't offered in those years. It was Korean made and SBL stopped selling them in the late 80's. Are your sure that's what you have?
A picture would help.
Ted

Looks like I only off by a decade, yes the machine was mfg in 1989, Korean alright. Appears to be decent, US Defense awards for excellent etc.,,, if that means anything? It's a 17x60 10HP and the price and condition was right. A little big for me but I'll grow into her. I need to replace the belts, so any special attention here? Bought the matching Mill also. Both machine are in very good shape and ready to roll.

I need to look at used machine sights for an attachment, at least some basic parts to build on. Really don't have the time invest, may mayve to farm out tapering on the first 50 cal benchrest barrel blank. (It's ugly not being do everything inhouse, guess I'm being too old school.)

Now to figure out how I'm going to build an internal centering arangement for the outboard spindele to hold shorter rifle barrles for chambering?

Even if you could find one it would not be as long as you want. You will end up making one or adapting one from another lathe. My taper is not long enough to do a rifle barrel in one set up.

Back