What's new
What's new

Scored spindle and bearings 1936 9C

Dana22Rim

Plastic
Hello, I'm new here and have acquired a 1936 9C 415YA SN 68103. I think the odometer on this one went over a few time's. It is a top oiler and has shorter saddle and apron. It originally had a 36" bed (which I have)but is now on a 54" bed (SN 62033).

The spindle and headstock bearings are badly scored. It spins freely but the spindle will not move left or right with the clamp screws snug because of the grooves in the bearing/spindle. What are the remedies? Find new casting and spindle? Not too comfortable with matching up parts from two different places. Anybody have what I need? Will I have problems with mating a headstock from some other year to my machine? I see there are at least a few different incarnations of the headstock. Or use as is?

Also the apron is broken in two. I purchased another but it is the wider version. If I acquire a saddle to fit the longer apron will it all work on my bed? I like the idea of the wider saddle. But then will my early compound fit the later crossfeed!?

Oh, Did I mention the bad bull and back gears.

Not sure what direction to take at this point. Any thought's will be appreciated.

Thanks
Dana

I agree - sounds like an exercise in frustration to fix what you have. :-( You can probably find a better machine for the cost of fixing that one and save yourself a lot of time and work.

You can also part out the one you have to offset the cost of a better machine which would be way cheaper in the long run. Also, being a model C, you are gonna be wishing for something with a QC gear box and better apron soon enough. Thirdly, swapping out saddles would require fitting the "new" saddle to your bed, which is easier said than done, if your not experienced with that kinda stuff and/or your ways are substantially worn.

OR

Just use it like it is and make due for now.

I agree. Part it out, take the money and put it into a machine that's all there and matching. Then you'll know
what you have to work with.

Pete

OK then, I guess I gotta let it go. Stop the bleeding as they say.
By the way, I called SB and they do have a (one) spindle in stock. $2320!!!
If I wanted a 10" lathe with a 1 3/8 spindle bore what model would I look for?

Thanks for the input folks.

Back