What's new
What's new

Seeking dimensions for missing 9A apron parts

jhmiii

Plastic
I am rebuilding my 9A and found two parts missing from the apron. The oil drain plug!!!! This is also called a pipe plug - PT1511. Also missing is the handwheel pinion snap ring or spring - PT409NK1. I am hoping these are fairly standard sizes. Does anyone know the relevant dimensions so I can find and purchase the plug and the ring?

Thanks
John

I am rebuilding my 9A and found two parts missing from the apron. The oil drain plug!!!! This is also called a pipe plug - PT1511. Also missing is the handwheel pinion snap ring or spring - PT409NK1. I am hoping these are fairly standard sizes. Does anyone know the relevant dimensions so I can find and purchase the plug and the ring?

Thanks
John

Plug sizes are far enough apart, plus cheap enough, just buy 2 or 3 that look 'close', see which fits.

Snap rings plain, internal, external, "E", "C" shapes etc are also so cheap it is easier to buy boxed collections of each type, do the same, rather than waste time or fuel chasing one at a time.

Same again for cotter-pins, 'O' rings, taper-pins, roll pins, Allen-head fasteners, machine-screws in general (buy long, learn to cut shorter ..) and set-screws.

Just build a small stock, let it 'pay you back' in saved time not having to constantly go-chase.

Everything I just mentioned could probably fit into a single 'shoe box'.

Half full. Unless.. you go for the BIG collections so as to also take care of the motorcars and OTHER machine-tools. Then a rolly-cabinet of their own.

:)

Bill

1/8-27 Pipe plug- AKA 1/8"NPT - any hardware will have one.

The clips only purpose is to retain the compounded idler/rack pinion gear so anything that will go in the groove will work..no requirement other than that...find a spring of suitable diameter and clip off a coil or even just bend one up from scratch.

I had to use an alternative ring for my 9a rebuild awhile back, and then I found the retainer ring later on. If i remember to do so, I will pull it out of my cabinet and get the rough dimensions on it, I never got around to putting the right one back on.

Its not as big as you might think. Just a small wire type snap ring.

Thanks for all of the input. I am off to the hardware store this morning and will buy a set of pipe plugs as well as some snap rings. I will look for a snap ring of the dimensions Ron_m80 mentioned. (Thanks for measuring.) I was surprised by Iwananew10K's pipe plug size. The only pipe plug I have is 1/4" and it is too small for the drain hole on my 9A apron. Maybe it was drilled and tapped larger at some point in its 62 years.

John

just checking...pipe sizes are based on the INSIDE diameter of PIPE...a 1/8"NPT is something like 3/8"" on the thread diameter...are you sure the plug you have isn't really 1/16" NPT? - the OD of that would be closer to 1/4"

Thanks for all of the input. I am off to the hardware store this morning and will buy a set of pipe plugs as well as some snap rings. I will look for a snap ring of the dimensions Ron_m80 mentioned. (Thanks for measuring.) I was surprised by Iwananew10K's pipe plug size. The only pipe plug I have is 1/4" and it is too small for the drain hole on my 9A apron. Maybe it was drilled and tapped larger at some point in its 62 years.

John

You probably won't find one of those in the hardware store. I had an old mom and pop store near me that has since closed down, they use to have key stock, pillow block bearings, and all manner of raw materials. I seriously doubt a Home Depot will be able to help.

You will probably find yourself sanding down a regular snap ring like I ended up doing for my 9a rebuild, when I couldn't find the real one in the parts box.

Well, the local Lowes had the pipe plug and it is in place. Found a snap ring at Menards, but then decided to try my hand with wire. Bought a spring that was .030" and slowly bent it into a pretty reasonable imitation of a 3/4" circle. Installed this on the pinion and with a few adjustments it fits quite well. Lubed the pinion shaft popped it into place and installed the handwheel and taper pin. Reassembling the apron is now complete. Now to finish up the gearbox. Thanks for the advice.

John

Back