What's new
What's new

self ejecting tailstock

RANZS

Plastic
Hi all I have purchased a 13 inch the x 5 foot south bend lathe the serial # 1029TKR-8 catalogue #8113-B its in fair condition I am currently awaiting the arrival of the felt kit that I ordered from Mr.Wells on E-bay so my question:is there some modification I can make to the spindle for the tail stock to make it self eject the centre or drill bit, the former owner seems to have beat the day lights out of the measured scale on the side of the tool holding section (not sure of the proper name).I am a Retired heavy equipment mechanic,the last place I worked I had the opportunity to run a 19inch x 56inch American pacemaker (not sure if it was piecemaker)but what a beast any way I remember it would self eject,is it worn to the point that it no longer ejects? I remember reading in this form
something about it but I cant find it again Thank you for your consideration.

Welcome to the forum Ranz. If the quill is beat up and doesn't retract all the way into the tailstock housing that may be the reason it doesn't eject. Jim

Retracting the quill all the way should eject the center or whatever. If it does not, the tailstock screw is probably too short for some reason. Making the quill longer is only going to make sure you cannot eject things because its not going to pull back far enough. It should retract flush with the end of the tailstock. If it doesn't, figure out why not.

Most live centers do not have a tang and will not eject in SBs.

A lot of other lathes leave some extra travel and even offset the scale to account for difference in taper length.

My war vintage Heavy 10 has no difficulty ejecting centers with no tang. The lathe came with a Jacobs chuck on a MT2 taper with tang. It would eject with the ram at the 0.5 inch reading on the ram. One day I ground the tang off.
It still ejects just fine and I can retract all the way to zero before it kicks out. I picked up an extra 1/2 inch of travel for drilling. Color me happy.

My war vintage Heavy 10 has no difficulty ejecting centers with no tang. The lathe came with a Jacobs chuck on a MT2 taper with tang. It would eject with the ram at the 0.5 inch reading on the ram. One day I ground the tang off.
It still ejects just fine and I can retract all the way to zero before it kicks out. I picked up an extra 1/2 inch of travel for drilling. Color me happy.

Probably, your quill has been cleaned up with a reamer one time too many. Have you tried a drill bit with a MT2 shank? if it ejects at 0 or less, then the tang of your chuck was indeed too long. otherwise, the taper hole is too large (and any tooling is inserted too deeply).

As mentioned in earlier posts, the problem of RANZS is either a broken/shorter quill screw or a damaged quill that doesn't retract far enough due to too many dings.

RANZS: Are tooling retained solidly in your tailstock quill? If not, you could simply have large-enough dents and burrs that provide some grip and prevent the tooling to seat completely in the tapered hole.

Paolo

yes iam still tearing things down as i got my felt kit and a rebuild book when fully retracted there is still 1/2 inch or so quill sticking out the end of the screw,but as to your question when the tools are in the quill you have a hard time getting it out looks good inside the taper section when i get back at it i will check its condition better the end of the quill screw it self is a tad messed up but i still managed to separate by hand power do you know where i might find physical dimensions of the quill and quill screw shaft

Back