What's new
What's new

? Selling my 1985 heavy 10 w/54 inch hard bed "super lathe" D 1-4

jockofthelowveld

Hot Rolled
It has been some time since I posted on this forum, but I am going to sell my subject lathe and I would like advice how to sell it using this website. Is it allowed for me to post it for sale on this websites in the for sale section or since it is a South Bend lathe are the rules that I should offer it for sale on the South Bend forum?

As a note I call it a super lathe because it has electronic variable speed feed screw (with original QC gearbox as well)and 0 to 3 1/2 " range heavy duty quill in the linebored tailstock, as well as complete rebuild including regrind of the flame hardened bed.

I am 76 years old and not in best of health and my machine shop is going to have to go now, so my heirs will not have to deal with it in a few years or less.

I recall getting some flak when I posted my Burke Horizontal milling machine in the for sale section a couple of years back as it was not a modern cnc type of machine tool equipment.

Regards;
Steve Howell
Columbia, SC

Looking at the rules under the machinery for sale section, it sayes no antique, or home type, but that is for that particular section.

It goes on to say its ok to post it under the antique section, though not mentioning south bend by name.

I have on some occasions seen south bend listings posted here, I'm not aware of rules against it. Also this forum section is a little more laid back. With the exception being if a rediculous asking price being posted, as most here know something about south bend, they'll question it, or maybe ask serious questions about lathe and tooling.

My guess is if you post pictures, price, description, and contact email, that you wont have much issue here. Or post a link to a craigslist or ebay listing of it.

Someone is always posting SBs in the for sale section, usually posted here with a link to the FS ad.

Someone will be proud to have that 10L, it's a dandy.

Someone is always posting SBs in the for sale section, usually posted here with a link to the FS ad.

Someone will be proud to have that 10L, it's a dandy.

Wow, Iwananew10K; It has been a long time and I am very pleased to see that you are still around and kicking. Yes, and I hope whoever buys the 10L it will give it love and tender care as I have.

Kindest Regards;
Steve

Steve,

I'm sorry to hear of your ill health. Seems to happen to all of us as we age.

I always enjoyed your postings and have archived several of them.

I know that you will miss your shop.

Fellows, Whoever gets this lathe will be getting one amazing Southbend lathe.

Vlad

I have a 10L with a bed I bought from you, and sent my dad down to collect. He was impressed with your other machine (I suppose the one you are selling). I am sorry you are having to sell, but it would be neat to see a forum member here get it. I think it is ok to post it here.

allan

Hi Steve, I've enjoyed reading about all your work on the 10L tailstock boring, extension, etc. I was actually just looking you up to try to contact you but assume since you're selling your equipment you're no longer able to help me fix my tailstock. That being said... PM your info, price, etc. I'd love to swap out my 10L for a well taken care of lathe that I can do the work I want to do on! (Sorry if this post is in bad taste - feel free to delete it if so.)

Back