What's new
What's new

Selling my South Bend 16 / 24

btm

Hot Rolled
I was in the middle of doing a partial rebuild on this lathe, but I need to sell it to make room for more equipment. My shop is small, and I need the space. This lathe is in excellent condition. The ways look like new. The spindle and bearings also look like new. I installed a near new cross feed screw, and new cross feed nut, and replaced the cross feed clutch parts. The tailstock spindle was replaced with a NOS spindle that has both inch and metric markings. the back gear was replaced with a unit that appeared to be unused. I don't have the apron assembly completely reassembled yet, but I have all new lube felts that I'm going to put in.
It has the 4 step pulley, with a two speed motor. It is 120" between centers. I have a copy of the info card from Grizzly that states it was built in '71.

I don't have much tooling for it. It does include a steady rest and I have a Skinner 12" 3 jaw chuck but I do not have the correct back plate for it. I'll also include a QCTP and some tool holders.

Here's a link to a few pics from a couple years ago (post #274).
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...cture-gallery-153748/index14.html#post1857552

I had this for sale a couple years ago and had a couple people interested, but both backed out after seeing how big it was. I then decided to keep it and finish cleaning it up, but I just don't have the time or space right now. I have approx. $3000 invested in it. I'm hoping to get close to that back out of it, so I'm looking for offers in that range.

I'm live in central PA. If needed, I can load, deliver, and unload the lathe at the buyers place. I would be willing to deliver within a couple hours drive for mileage expenses.

If interested, post a reply here or PM me.

btm

Wow! That machine is beautiful! And you put some great parts back in too.. Good luck with the sale

Bernie

Thanks Bernie,
Unfortunately, these larger South Bends don't create nearly as much interest as the small 9 and 10 inch lathes.
The total length on this lathe is approx. 15 feet. With the length and swing, it is a very versatile lathe, but most folks just don't have the space for a machine this big.

btm

Back