What's new
What's new

Set-Tur Chucks

skipd1

Cast Iron
I am looking at adding a 3 jaw 6" Set-tru chuck for my lathe. I am not exactly sure how it adjusts concentricity and I am wondering if it is a good addition for more presise work holding than my existing 3 jaw chuck. What kind of accuracy can I expect and what are the better brands to look for? Thanks

Regards
Skipd1

Set Tru chucks are nice and I do own a couple of them. I will add that if you are looking for accuracy you should be using an independent four jaw chuck however. You can dial in your part to whatever accuracy you need in a minute. I would never rely on any three jaw for real accuracy. Collets are nice but it takes more time to set them up then it does to just dial in your part with a four jaw. I rarely use the Set Tru anymore.

I am looking at adding a 3 jaw 6" Set-tru chuck for my lathe. I am not exactly sure how it adjusts concentricity and I am wondering if it is a good addition for more presise work holding than my existing 3 jaw chuck. What kind of accuracy can I expect and what are the better brands to look for? Thanks

Regards
Skipd1
There are four set screws around the perimeter of the chuck that allow you to dial in a round workpiece, like a four-jaw chuck. If I were you, I would purchase the 6 jaw version of this chuck, rather than the 3 jaw version. I have a 6 jaw Adjust-Tru chuck, and it is very convenient for accurately turning round workpieces. Once you get the first workpiece dialed in, you can expect repeatability within a thousandth.

Lord Byron

Back