What's new
What's new

Wanted South Bend 10L Spindle Reverse Gear (PT980L1) for Lever Collet Closer

Mr Majestic

Plastic
I recently purchased a South Bend lever collet closer off Ebay for my late 60's Heavy 10 but didn't realize I need an adapter to fit over my existing spindle to accept/mount the closer. South Bend's designation for the part I need is called a "spindle reverse gear"...with SB part number: PT980L1. I found a picture showing what I'm looking for...see below.

Does anyone here know where I can acquire this part? Thanks in advance for your help.

MM

55415-pic-1.jpg

Last edited:
Sunnuvabitch! I just realized that I might need the same thing for the closer I just bought... If I do, I'll make it. If I do, let me know and I'll make you one while I'm at it... if you don't find one and I indeed do need one...

MM, Try contacting either Ted aka "SBLatheman" or Ronnie aka "penelopepitstop" if neither of them have it give plaza machinery a call.

Zahnrad Kopf, If you have a heavy 10, then you will have to either buy or make that part, in order for the collet closer to mate to the lathe. If you do end up making the part you will also have to machine an internal key way for the woodruff key on the collet closer. The picture that MM used is from my lathe and if you search my name, you should find the thread with the details of the one I had to modify in order to make my collet closer work.

Danny

Until recently anyway South Bend Lathe Co. still had that part in stock. It was pricey though. I checked with them when I needed one for my machine. Another option is to create a sleeve that fits on the spindle separate from the gear. I think I may have another one around, if I can find it.

Back