What's new
What's new

Show Me Your Tool Storage

Rick_B

Stainless
Now that I am starting to accumulate some tooling (micrometers, calipers, centers, drill chuck, center drills, 4 jaw chuck, yada, yada) I'm thinking I need to come up with some organized storage. What have you done for the vicarious bits and pieces that end up thrown in a drawer? Any creative solutions out there? Any pics?

Thanks
Rick

Aerodark - that is really cool! You are definitely more organized than me. I like the idea of the cut outs for them various tool shapes. I was thinking of building one from wood (trying to work in some of my original hobby :-) ). I'm struggling with how,any drawers and what sizes. I know, I know - whatever i decide on will be wrong :-)
Rick

Areodark,
Very well done, any tips about the materials you used, methods, what you might do different the next time? Work like that is tough to do with some precision and not have it look like a chainsaw hacked it out.

Pete

:skep::crazy::willy_nilly:

I hate 5s....

well, no, that is not true. I hate how my company handles 5s.

If I was allowed to have a camera at work I would take some pictures of my 5s'd box.

At home... not so much. I can take some pictures, but it is nothing fancy. Whenever I see a Kennedy box for $50-$75 in nice shape I buy it. My precision tools are in my Gerstner.

OK - I took the easy/inexpensive way out. Actually I didn't want to commit a lot of money and time to this until i feel more confident that the tool layout fits with how I will work with it. The goal was to organize the tools so they weren't flopping all over each other in a drawer and get stuff out of cardboard boxes. About 4 feet from the lathe I have a workbench with a couple of unused/poorly used drawers so I decided to use the top two on the right

CabinetDrawers.jpg

I used some scrap mdf to make pockets of sorts to stabilize the tools in the drawers

Drawer_1Storage.jpg

Drawer_2Storage.jpg

It seems i have accomplished my primary goals. Now to work with it awhile and see what, if anything, needs to be modified. In the deep recesses of my mind I have a vision to make a machinist tool chest from wood (the other obsession) - at that point I can pretty it up.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas

Rick

drill storage.jpg61965_153757967978685_100000334475674_341418_5651751_n.jpgRoyersford.jpg
Nice, real nice ;)

Thank you! Another few shots. The check file was picked up on the same trip as the library card file...$130 for the both, few hundred miles worth of diesel and the time to blow the stink off me by getting out of town for a few days. I needed the check file for drill storage for the old Royersford drill press.
EDIT: I see someone else mentioned old Gerstner tool chests. They are the best, least I like 'em!

Attachments

• 62492_154662891221526_100000334475674_345594_5945224_n.jpg
    62492_154662891221526_100000334475674_345594_5945224_n.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 2,133
None handy at the moment. Whenever I get the area around it cleaned up enough for more shots (cuz there really isn't much room to shoot now!) I'll post a few back to this thread. It is a Type II of 1964 vintage with (from memory) approx. 27-28K on the clock, but with a warranty motor that has even less mileage. I know it is a warranty motor because, other than the first letter of the code that was stamped at the factory (again memory, but think it was an "H"), the service department neglected to stamp the rest of the engine code matching the old engine. I've been gathering up dribs and drabs here and there over the years for the van...stronger Weber dual carbed 1600 engine to replace the stock single port 1500, NOS floor mats, gasoline heater, etc. Just waiting for retirement. Also have an '81 FJ40 Landcruiser with slightly under 50K waiting for a rebuild after I retire...body cancer (which in fairness was already presenting it's ugly visage when I drove it off the showroom lot new!) Plenty of project, too little time at present.

Last edited:

Back