What's new
What's new

Show us your 10L carriage 'table' or cross slide with t slots

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I am figuring on a job or two that will likely be well served by having some facility on the 10L for attaching stuff atop (or instead of) the cross slide. Like for line boring some stuff. It could be a good project for a newb like me.

I have seen Paula's terrific thread on the t-nut cross slide and noted that others have adapted those castings to a 10L (I even see the supplier is offering an extension for taper-attachment machines like mine).

I was wondering how other SB 10L users have made tables or new cross slides for their machines and (in the case of tables) how they are secured and how stable they are. I have seen some pics of some pretty large tables attached atop the cross slide and figure the only way they attach is via the compound hole and that, I would think, is not that stable for such a large plate (?).

All thoughts and advice welcome.

Greg.

PS. And pics. :-)

I'm a bit curious about this taper attachment extension thing you mentioned. Does it go in place of the chip guard that screws into the back of the cross-slide? Can't imagine that would be stable at all. Its just fixed in there with a couple of 1/4" screws and the back end rides on the taper attachment post.

Here's mine. Cut from a solid slab of durabar, with matching tapered gib.

IMG_20160607_200639358.jpg

It is still kinda rough, neither the slide nor the gib is cut to length, and there are no holes for things like cross slide nut. The T-slots go straight thru from one side to the other. The obvious question then becomes, how do you fit the compound? Well, I stole an idea from Alan Jackson's Stepperhead, and added a round 'puck' to the bottom of the existing slide.

IMG_20160607_200659760.jpg

The compound can slide from one end of the cross slide to the other, and will lock both the location and rotation with a turn of the eccentric shaft you see protruding from the side.

The lathe is not operational yet, but I can already see that this style of cross-slide reduces the swing too much for general use. I am considering cutting away the center section a bit before I scrape this thing in.

allan

Kitno455 - that is very nice. Kudos.
icon14.png
Got to be one of the best mods I've seen for those lathes.

Nice one Allan, that is thinking outside the box as they say. I like it.

Isn't the height about the same basic height and width as a stocker SB cross slide? Why the swing concern? I reckon I've missed something.

Not T-slots, my 9 Inch Model A, s_n 38987NAR9, CL644A, 4-2-1956, came with a dovetail grafted onto the cross slide by a PO. Also came with the companion tool block to hold an inverted cut off blade.

100_9403.jpg
100_9447.jpg

John

Nice idea ^^. A baby Hardinge dovetail bed.

I got an EMCO Super 11 last fall and it has a dovetailed cross feed table that the compound bolts too. I haven't utilized it's capability much to this point but the flexibility it provides for tool position, line boring, etc definitely makes this lathe a keeper. I may do something similar to the above on my 10L while I have it apart. Shouldn't be too difficult (he says with no confidence) to mill a couple of landing pads on the top of the cross slide. It shouldn't need to be 0.0000" flat and orthogonal to work.

Allan,

That cazeneuve sure is a nice idea. More lateral thinking. I like it.

I am sure this has been expressed a million times but makes you wonder why SB not include such a facility on their lathes. I don't even recall seeing an accessory in any of the catalogues (but I haven't been that thorough!). Even Hercus the Australian SB 9" cloner offered a "boring table" accessory:

http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/

John, that is another nice idea too. Yes more thinking that is not lateral tslots. Thanks.

I am sure this has been expressed a million times but makes you wonder why SB not include such a facility on their lathes. I don't even recall seeing an accessory in any of the catalogues (but I haven't been that thorough!).

They did offer the lever operated cross slide, which is a very suitable tool for rear cutoff.

img30.gif

Hi Kitno455
I am sure you will be very happy with this mod for a lever locking topslide.
Once you get use to it you will never want to got back to the old nut and bolt arrangements that still seem to prevail even on new machines.
Alan

How about the milling table from the Grizzly G0516 combo lathe?

http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0516540

The whole machine is here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combo-Lathe-w-Milling-Attachment/G0516

I am not sure this is exactly to the point but, for the price of $39.50 and 4 holes to drill and tap on your cross slide, it might be a bargain.

It may be a bit wide for the lathe though, I am not sure. I got one many years ago which I have not put to use yet. I could take measurements tonight at home if it could help.

Jacques

Back