What's new
What's new

Single tumbler gear box help

Dustywbradberry

Plastic
Just got done rebuilding the single tumbler gear box on my 16" lathe. How tight is to tight for the gears? Everything is together how it should be but seems way to tight when turning by hand.

If I recall correctly, when I put mine back together, it didn't take much force at all to turn the gears. Firm, but not loosey goosey. I remember that the most difficult part, was getting the nut back on the end of the gear cluster. I managed to start it cross threaded and had to take it back apart to fix the threads. After that, it went together quite well, but not without a fight. If you did get yours cross threaded, it may be binding because of it.

Brian

Not sure if it applies to the single tumbler box, but on the double tumbler the lead screw nut can't be on there super tight or it binds up. The double boxes use a jam nut arrangement to get the clearance where it runs smooth without being sloppy.

I did cross thread it like you said but I tokk it back apart and fixed the thread and didnt have a problem getting it back on. It feels way to tight to me but maybe it's fine I'm sure it will loosen up if not I'll just have to tear it back apart and see what's going on.

My single tumbler for a 16" turns real easy, like butter when I was done with it. Not sure if you used a felt kit from ebay or not, but some felts seem to fall into a bit of a gray area, like it was real close to use one a little thicker or thinner. Felts too thick could add drag.

One suggestion, if you have not mounted it, roll the case over so gear end is facing you. Roll each shaft, and each of the non-fixxed gears back and forth to feel the gear lash. That'll tell you if gear lash is too tight(probably not if you using same gears)but you may find that one gear, or one shaft is harder to rock back and forth, while the rest roll easy.

Also can check end thrust on shafts. I would not leave zero clearance. Maybe .002-.004" for oil clearance. If the bushings for shafts are knocked in too tight could be dragging.

The last thing I can think is the tumbler gear and shaft. As is, getting them used I would expect a repair needed as the bore in tumbler arm wears out. If the gear and shaft can move up and down significantly the gear will bind on occasion, depending on which notch you're in.

Back