What's new
What's new

Which size Aloris for SB 16?

bronto48

Hot Rolled
The Aloris catalog lists EITHER BXA or CXA for a 16 inch SB. Mine is a late model with hardened ways and lever clutch.

The BXA is less expensive,the CXA is likely more rigid. I am concerned about whether or not one of them is at/near the limit of its vertical height adjustment range for setting proper tool point height.

Anybody have experience with either? Comments/problems/likes?

Thanks in advance.

I have a CXA on the SB16 I use at work. None of the tool holders are at their travel limits.

Either one will work, however I would go with a CXA size just because there is more to it. Height adjustment should not be a problem if your using 1/2" or 5/8" shank insert holders. You can also put a "shim" under the insert holder to raise it up if needed. When I worked in a R&D shop I had a 13" lathe with a CXA toolpost and had no real problems with it.

I also use a CXA in my 16's. I have a spare BXA leftover from when we had a smaller machine, and when I tried it in the 16 it was just too short. Most of my insert holders have a 3/4 shank.

Marc

Yes, either will work, but I would use a BXA, as it is plenty stiff enough. I use a Multi-fix B on my 18" L&S with no ill effects. I do have to use a spacer under the head. One unmentioned advantage, beside price, of using the smaller size is potential interference with the "C" size.

Adding to this thread just to provide another data point.

I recently purchased a BXA sized Bostar QCTH (CDCO/ebay) for use on my SB16. I had to add shims (~1/4") under the QCTH to bring the tools up to center. BTW, I typically use 1/2" shank tools. I'm not real pleased with the setup, but it should be fine. Honestly though, if the quality of the QCTH was a bit better then I might be quite pleased with the setup.

Back