What's new
What's new

Which size tool holders for the 9A?

Tim338

Aluminum
My lathe restoration is about complete on my South bend 9A (its been a long time coming!) and I am in need of some tool holders for my lantern style post. I see looking on line (eBay) there are many sizes available what size do I need?
Also I am in need of a lathe chuck would I be better off with a 3 jaw or 4 jaw to start off with?
Sorry for the "new guy" questions.
Thanks,
Tim

I would choose the largest that will fit your tool post.
*I like 1/2 inch best and nothing wrong with 3/8 - 5/16 OK - 1/4 Not.

*Yes Tim I am referring to tool bit size tool bit size.

You can neck them down if needed for some tight job.
Best to have a right, left and straight.

A poor quality 3 jaw will make you sad and wishing you had spent a few more bucks
I like to do most work in a 4 jaw but that is because I have so much practice I can make a close set-up with not using an indicator for many jobs.
Spend an extra 100 bucks (or more) on your chuck 3 or 4 and you won’t be sorry.

Buck

So If the tool holder will physically fit in the tool post it will work? The sizes your referring to are the tool bits themselves right?
I was thinking of getting a 4 jaw chuck first. Is Skinner a good quality brand? I do have enough sense to stay away from the new Asian imports.

I see skinner on ebay for Around $100 but I don’t think that is the old American Skinner company. I really don’t know how good it is as I haven’t bought a chuck in some time.
I also see Shars with run-out of .003 (not very good).
And some used chucks of varying quality.
Good to read this thread about low price chucks:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/what-do-cheap-china-4-jaw-chuck-272205/

I think best to start a new thread “Is there a good 10” chuck for $150 to $300.
Yes I think that is the low price range for a decent chuck.
*Use the inch size in thread you are thinking about.

Buck

agree with Rex TX - it`s amazing what a little 9" can do with the `ol lantern post and some good 1/4" bits.

just make sure you have the right rocker for your toolholders and it`s very easy to get your tools on-center.

i have the original set from SB(Armstrong holders) - just install the holder in the toolpost so it`s "eyeball" level then put the bit in and slide it in or out to get on center.
from then on all you have to do is slap the holder in the post eyeball level and you are on center.

or some guys just flip the rocker ring and lose the rocker completely.

a good inexpensive 5" 3 jaw chuck can be had for about $300 (gibralter,bison)

the grizzly catalog has a 5" bison with the 2 piece jaws for just under $300 - but i don`t know if it`s a "real" Bison.

my 5" Bison cost me $450 - my 5" Gibralter cost me $300 and is just as accurate as the Bison but a little more lightly constructed.

toolholders

Keep in mind that there are 3 different vertical angles those toolholders came in: level, 15 degree and one other.
The zero degree or level were for carbide, and also used in shapers. I think 15 degree is the most common 'standard' toolholder. I don't recall what the 3rd angle is. Each came in left. right, and straight, so there are 9 variations just in the #1 size.
I have all 3 sets for mine, but I don't have them handy to check the 3rd angle.

good point about the differing angles - i think that is one of the reasons so many hate lantern posts and holders - when we buy a used machine we often get a "mixed batch" so there is no consistancy between holders and you have to dink with them to get things set up right.

my set IIRC are the 11 degree? holders - not quite sure if that`s correct but it`s close and they are certainly not the steeper angled ones(which i do not like)

i may be the odd man out but i love mine...they will allow you to get to places not possible with other toolposts, and 1/4" bits are cheap!

Back