What's new
What's new

Skinner 4-jaw Chuck

ClayLipp

Plastic
I have a Skinner 4-jaw chuck made for South Bend. I was wondering if anybody knows what the "DD S" means stamped on the bottom of the screw guides? I am having an issue with the jaws and screw being too tight so it doesn't spin smoothly, and I'm wondering if these marking may help.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429987010.312335.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429987018.644818.jpg

I've got a 15" Cushman, 8" & 10" Bisons and a 8" Pratt Burnerd. All have tight screws and jaws. I like 'em that way. Tells me the jaws are still tight in the slides.....which they are.

Has it been taken apart? ( screws,keepers and all)

If so that may be the problem, if they are assembled with the screws and keepers not in the same exact orientation it can cause binding.

I just disassembled and cleaned one of those.
I had one jaw that was just a little too tight and would bind up in a few spots.
I ended up taking a stone to it and lightly stoning all of the mating surfaces. When I put it back together it worked great. Doesn't take much of a burr or high spot to make these tighten up if it's in the right spot.

Has it been taken apart? ( screws,keepers and all)

If so that may be the problem, if they are assembled with the screws and keepers not in the same exact orientation it can cause binding.

I believe it was before I bought it, it came with the lathe I bought, and I just noticed it when I went to use it the other day.

I just disassembled and cleaned one of those.
I had one jaw that was just a little too tight and would bind up in a few spots.
I ended up taking a stone to it and lightly stoning all of the mating surfaces. When I put it back together it worked great. Doesn't take much of a burr or high spot to make these tighten up if it's in the right spot.

I'll have to check those out, that could very well be the problem. The screws spin nice in the guides until I put the jaws in, then they tighten up.

Back