What's new
What's new

So many to choose from

zjtr10

Plastic

I retired 2 years ago and believe it or not have about wiped out my Honey Do list so I'm looking for a new toy.

I'm leaning towards a SB lathe due to their popularity and available parts. I don't want a project like this one
South Bend Heavy 1 Lathe - tools - by owner - sale

From my reading here it's be$t to get a fully tooled one instead of buying the lathe then looking to outfit it.

I don't have any real projects in mind, just looking for enjoyment and a fun way to exercise my mind. You never know … I might decide to become a machinist when I grow up.

I'm not quite sure why the SB Heavy 10's command more $$$ than larger 12-16 inch units. At least that’s what it appears to be on eBay. Can someone comment on this ?

I'm in W. Texas so the pickings are slim. The good news is I have time to go pick one up …. It's not like I have to be back on Monday morning. LOL

When you are on the look out for the lathe you are looking for, it is not uncommon to saddle up and drive for 12-18 hours to pick up the one you choose. If you are thinking about a SB heavy 10, you might also consider a Rockwell 11". I have both, and the Rockwell is more capable and more accurate than I am. Don't pay a machinery dealer up front, no matter what they might promise. The best solution is the family of a former machinist who merely wants to get rid of Dad's junk. I bought the lathe, and they threw in the rest of the shop, right down to the drawers and benches. Good Luck, and Regards, Clark

I bought the lathe, and they threw in the rest of the shop,

If only I could be so lucky.

Too many times in the past I have bought something and 6 months later wish I had bought the "bigger or smaller" item. I'm trying to avoid that mistake this go round.

Can you comment on why the SB heavy 10 is sooo popular ? Is it just a good all around machine? Not too small and not too big ?

I bought the lathe, and they threw in the rest of the shop,

If only I could be so lucky.

Too many times in the past I have bought something and 6 months later wish I had bought the "bigger or smaller" item. I'm trying to avoid that mistake this go round.

Can you comment on why the SB heavy 10 is sooo popular ? Is it just a good all around machine? Not too small and not too big ?

The south bend Heavy 10 is capable, and about as large and heavy as most people want to move around. Bigger is better if you have the space, most hobbyists don't have the space or the inclination to move 3000 lbs or more. I bought a 6000 LBS LeBlond for $306, when Heavy 10 were going for $1500 or more. I have neighbors with heavy equipment and heavy equipment trailers, so no sweat to unload.

CarlBoyd

"So many to chose from" - which alternate version of Tx are you in? Don't discount that one in Sonora, it's at least in the same time zone. He mentions and "ice chest full of tooling", has the Illion rebuild manual, not unreasonably priced if he'll come off that 2K a bit. I'd rather have one like that than one where someone has driven it thru a car wash then painted it with a mop and calls it refurbished. I started looking for a heavy 10 about 6 yrs ago and still don't have one. Almost struck a deal for one in Chicago but the guy wanted me to come get it in January. Keep your eye on CL or Ebay around Houston. Also this list is an excellent place. Be careful, they're addictive.
lsneon

A SB10 wants to be a SB13 when it grows up. Don't limit yourself to one kind. A SB is a great lathe to learn on.

Not sure the weight of 10's, but a 16" will be about 2600- 2800 lbs. While I could be wrong, I thought a heavy 10 had it's own motor base like a 13", where as the 10's mounted on a cabinet were not a "heavy" 10.

I started with a 16", and would do so again, though I like 13" as well. If going with a smaller swing, I would probably look at something with a faster spindle rpm than a South Bend though, as smaller diameter work will be slower feet per minute than larger diameter work when cutting tool touches it.

In the advert you posted, the price seems high for something in pieces, and looking a little rough, though location shipping/traveling expenses do play a factor as well. Some plus sides to that listing: it has taper attachment, steady rest, thread dial, a type of quick change tool post (not sure which brand), and at least some of the pieces for a collet closer (maybe all, can't see it).

The handle for lowering motor to engage drive belt is broken.

Heavy 10's came in both flavors, floor lathe and Bench lathe. You could only get the longest bed length in the floor version.
Mine is a 3.5 foot bed length on a cabinet. It will do about 20 inches between centers.

When I got this I had a choice of this or a 13 inch model. I picked this one because it included collets and a taper attachment. the 13 just had 3 and 4 jaw chucks.

I can comment on SBL and some other brands. I have a Heavy 10, a 13x 28 btc, a 13 x 40 btc, a 14.5 x 60 between centers, and several others.
The heavy 10 is popular among gunsmith because the spindle has 1-3/8" bore and is shorter through the bore than most lathes with the swing and bore size. A floor model is a 1000 lbs or so.
The 13 is a great size for a ground level shop. I like my 13 x 42 between center model which weighs 1500 lbs.
I have my 14.5 x 60 between centers in our farm shop. It is good for repairing the farm machinery. It weighs about 2500 lbs.
The SBL are good hobbyist lathes as information on repairs, used parts, tooling, and advice are readily available.
They also run quietly and are easy to move and easy to run a 3 phase model from a single phase in x three phase out VFD.
Bruce

Thanks to everyone for their input. I need all the advice I can get. :reading:

About the lathe in Sonora, Tx... Seller came down to $1500 but says he took it apart 4 1/2 years ago but has been too busy with work to reassemble. Ok, I've put in lots of 80 hr weeks so I can relate.
When asked when is a good time to see it he said " I'm home every day by 5:30 PM" HUH ???

Somethings fishy with the deal or he could have reassembled it and sold it long ago.

4 1/2 yrs is a loooong time for parts to be laying around. Things get lost, dropped, broken, bent as you know too well.

I have a Heavy 10L cabinet model that was given to me. Didn't even know what it was, just an old South Bend. If I had been buying, I wouldn't have considered a belt drive machine and probably nothing smaller than 13". Now that I've worked with it, I like it quite a bit. I like the height and compactness and it seems to be plenty accurate. It's much easier to move than a Bridgeport. Now that I've done the serpentine belt upgrade, I want more hp. I can stall the motor with a moderate cut. Higher speed range would also be nice.

Machine tools are much like safes. Everyone wants one they can move in a pickup. The bigger they are, the less interest. Really big ones frequently sell for scrap value.

I wouldn't touch that machine you posted for any more than $500, no way to check it out. Patience grasshopper.

me..if in Texas I'd grab it...I don't see it as a red flag at all..SBs are so easy to check function even without power....guy bought it as a hobby project and life got in the way and other things took priority.

1500 is a decent price in Texas, there's that much just in accessories....and it comes with the book too....perfect...even the oils and Roy Dean grease.

If it's a bust you part it out and make an easy 1500 or more on top of the purchase price....add it up.

Large dial taper attachment- 500
Lever clutch apron- 250
Steady- 250
Collets- 200 or more
KDK tool post 60
Tailstock- 100
Large dial compound- 200

The List goes on.....you can make out like a bandit....then you got the bucks to buy a really nice machine and have it shipped if need be.

Back