What's new
What's new

South Bend 10 Heavy Spindle Bearing Wear

believe it or not they will be fine...the most important element is the spindle journals, as long as your spindle is good and free of galled on iron deposits, you will never know the difference.

If your spindle lubrication system is working correctly, the spindle journals never touch these surfaces in operation. Heavier scoring does result in lower off-axis loads before the spindle breaks through the hydrodynamic bearing film, but in a home shop on Heavy 10 I don't think you should lose sleep over it.

Here's a video clip of my 16" pumping oil via capillary oilers through the bronze sleeves. It's not segmented cast iron like yours, but relies on the same physics and the same oil felt system. I have read that the longitudinal slots in the cast iron bearing headstocks were cut to reduce oil cavitation, but I don't have enough info to back that up.

Instagram

It should run fine for many more years, just make sure the felts are clean and the reservoirs are topped up.

If your spindle lubrication system is working correctly, the spindle journals never touch these surfaces in operation. Heavier scoring does result in lower off-axis loads before the spindle breaks through the hydrodynamic bearing film, but in a home shop on Heavy 10 I don't think you should lose sleep over it.

Here's a video clip of my 16" pumping oil via capillary oilers through the bronze sleeves. It's not segmented cast iron like yours, but relies on the same physics and the same oil felt system. I have read that the longitudinal slots in the cast iron bearing headstocks were cut to reduce oil cavitation, but I don't have enough info to back that up.

Instagram

It should run fine for many more years, just make sure the felts are clean and the reservoirs are topped up.

Kingtutley :D
Thanks for the video
Ted

BTW- if you are near I have a very nice 10L cast iron base, free for pickup.
Everything but the motor, leg and chip pan too(for 3.5' bed)

wish I could...chair bound.

But it is a nice one. I scrapped the lathe but the base was too nice so I have been saving it for anyone that can pick it up.

PM me for contact info.

Back